Logo

99 Mercury 175 efi, won't start, ECU?

Rk Squiers

New to the forum. Was getting my 1999 Mercury efi up and running for use this spring. Had it running on the muffs just 2 days ago. Now it WILL NOT start. Getting spark. Tried new plugs. Will fire with starting fluid in the cylinders (then dies). Always been cold blooded.

Auto Mechanic friend did some troubleshooting over the phone with a colleague who is a very experienced Mercury mechanic (votage and pressure testing etc). 2nd hand diagnosis is ECU problem. A. Does this make sense (I have had some issues the last 2 seasons with periodic total split second cut-out under load). B. If it is an ECU, is this a difficult DIY job if I can find a rebuilt or used unit? C. Is there anything else I should be checking? I really hate to take it in cuz I know I am gonna get a big bill. Some other information:

-Weather is very cold right now -40's
-Fuel pump does seem to be making noise

HELP! I am trying to sell this boat and don't want to get in any deeper than I have to. Thanks.

We checked the fuses we could see. Any hints on where the fuel system fues is located? We did seem to hear something from the fuel pump.

Back