Logo

99' force 120 hp hard to start after 5 minutes

misnjoe

i have recently had a problem w/ my 99 120 hp force motor. it seems to run fine once it's started, but if i shut the motor down and let it sit for longer then a few minutes it becomes hard to start. i have to do much playing w/ the throttle and primer to get it to start. it will eventually start though. if i shut the motor off and try and start it right away or sooner then the 5 min, it will fire right up. my ball is still tight when im having the problem and i can hear my primer solonoid clicking when i operate. it seems like after a period of time the gas is leaving the area it needs to be for a easy start. would love to solve this problem on my own so im looking for some advice. also, it has for some time been a little prone to stall when i put it in gear or when i pull back on the throttle quickly to stop the boat. i have learned not to throttle down to fast as not to stall. this was not such a problem, but the hard starting is a little un-nerving since i take this boat as far as 20 miles offshore somedays.

The stalling is probably a low idle.
Should be about 750-800 rpm in gear.
That might fix the other problem too.

In the drive way about 1100 -1200

Sorry I didn't see this till today.

The stalling is probably a low idle.
Should be about 750-800 rpm in gear.
That might fix the other problem too.

In the drive way about 1100 -1200

Sorry I didn't see this till today.[/QUOTE

is raising the idle a simple procedure. i have never touched anything on the carb to date. i still feel the hard starting after the engine has been shut down is something else. i do engage the throttle when trying to start and it still is tuff. yet if i start within a couple of minutes she will fire right over. would my fuel pump have anything to do with this? thanks for the help

Profile,location?
You might be close to someone who can help.
Raising the idle,is simple.
Got a manual?
Get a parts diagram.
Find the towershaft.The bottom of the towershaft is a screw with a lock nut(7/16)
Loosen the nut and screw in to raise the idle.
Make sure it's tight when your done.

The fuel pump could be a problem,but if it runs good after starting,then probably not.
It's easu to take apart and check the diaphram.
Since it's apart,change it $6

The only thing to touch on the carb is the air screw.If you don't know what your doing,DON"T TOUCH!!!
A carb out of adjustment can cost you a piston.
Get the factory manual. READ IT.
And don't be afraid to ask.

Profile,location?
You might be close to someone who can help.
Raising the idle,is simple.
Got a manual?
Get a parts diagram.
Find the towershaft.The bottom of the towershaft is a screw with a lock nut(7/16)
Loosen the nut and screw in to raise the idle.
Make sure it's tight when your done.

The fuel pump could be a problem,but if it runs good after starting,then probably not.
It's easu to take apart and check the diaphram.
Since it's apart,change it $6

The only thing to touch on the carb is the air screw.If you don't know what your doing,DON"T TOUCH!!!
A carb out of adjustment can cost you a piston.
Get the factory manual. READ IT.
And don't be afraid to ask.

thanks for the good advice. i will get a manual asap and read as you say. hopefully just raising that idle will make a difference. cheers....oh my location is long island NY. got to fill out my profile info.

Last edited:
Back