Logo

98 Mercury 2 stroke dies on idle

soundape

hey all, I'm very desperate for some help!!! I have a 1998 25hp 2 stroke mariner (0G632135) that starts up but will die very quickly unless I bring the acceleration lever up. It will only stay running in neutral as long as I am accelerating but as soon as I start to ease off it will start to die. I've done a carb repair kit and cleaned it out thoroughly with carb cleaner and blown air. The gas tank, bulb and line going to the motor are all brand new. There is gas running into the carb when I squeeze the bulb. The gas/oil mixture is spot on (with sta bil added). The float and fuel pump body seemed visually ok so I have not replaced those. I have not removed the reed block but it also looked ok from what I could see when I removed the carb. Compression test 115 psi on both cylinders. One thing I did notice, and I couldn't find any info about this online so I'm not sure if it's normal... There are 2 magnets under the flywheel and they are both right next to each other. I saw a video of someone installing a new flywheel on a similar mercury and the magnets where opposite each other. I moved one so it was opposite but it ends up right back next to the other when I try to start the motor. Is this normal?

AT this point I feel like I've tried just about everything! New stator, new plugs, new coil, carb rebuild, new tank, bulb, lines..... If anyone has had a similar situation and was able to figure it out please please let me know what to do!!!

Back