Logo

98 Evinrude 130hp confusing alarm

JWMonnier

98 Evinrude 130hp is sounding an alarm after after warm up, the alarm is one beeb that last around 10 seconds then goes off, I let it run for a bit longer with no more alarm sounds but shut it down out of caution. There is no change in engine function and there seems to be a decent amount of smoke for a 2stroke. The outboard is new to me.

Did you install it on the boat yourself ?----Set up the VRO unit ?----Tested the VRO unit ?----Or mixing at 50:1 in your tank ?----Installed a new water pump impeller ?

Thanks for the reply,
I did not install outboard,it is original power for boat
Boat is new to me, 98 Striper 1850 W/A
I did install a new ign, did not replace buzzer
Everything else is as I bought it.
As far as I know the VRO is functioning,
I did notice this last time that the primer bulb was a little weird, stayed flat for a bit, fiddled with it and it returned to shape, does it to a small degree every pump now.
I have not tested the VRO unit, do not posses the knowledge will definitly look into it. I have not installed new water pump/impeller yet, last owner claimed it was done last season, so it's on the list of to do
Have not personally put any mix directly into the tank, it's a below deck tank so not sure how to check if the last owner did aside from removing the fill line from the tank.
appreciate the guidance

Last edited:
I don't know about the beep, but the bulb sounds like your tank is not vented correctly or the fuel line from tank to bulb is coming apart inside. Or the bulb's check valve is bad.

Thanks, Ima head out now and start changing the fuel line and removing fuel pickup to check for gunk build up and replacing primer bulb. Wondering if fuel restriction will cause interference with the operation of the fuel/oil pump and triggering alarm.

Everything seems to look and work fine, engine idles nice and Mello, alarm comes on 5 or 10 mins after warm up and engine idles down, sounds for around 10 seconds then stops but the no oil light on gauge stays lit, doesn't seem to sound again or I haven't left it run long enough for it to sound again. everything seems to reset if I restart the motor, but the exact pattern will happen repeatedly. I have not ran it under load , I want to, but it's a real bummer to be stuck out in the bay working on your outboard, docks been way to busy to stay tied up fiddling around so here I sit.

Mix gas and oil at 50:1 ----Do the VRO oil consumption test.----Run with 50:1 until you know 100% that VRO is working.----You risk serious damage to the motor.

Did the consumption test and is definitly using oil, problem is the rpms are not registering on my Faria tachmeter, the sys check part seems to work. at idle it was using identical amount as the video showed.

Back