Logo

'98 50SPL won't start...

offcamber

Some may remember last year I had a fuel problem with this motor...dumped the VRO and went to premix with a standard fuel pump all fixed motor ran great for a month. When I went to winterize the engine after the boat sat for maybe a week or two from last use it would not start. The bilge was full of water because the drain was plugged with debris. So I drained the water out and waited a day thinking something in the wiring harness shorted due to all the water.....still no joy..being late in the season I winterized the engine and stored the boat.

Pulled the boat out this week and the issue still exists...I tested the ignition switch and kill switch and all seem to working as it should. Just not getting spark. Something seems to be grounding the coil although I haven't confirmed that 100%. Can the coil be tested if the kill circuit is not functioning properly?

When I switched pumps I disconnected the VRO wiring and cut the wires to the alarm from the oil tank which I removed....the engine ran fine after this so I don't think that's the issue.

I had heard cutting the black wire with the yellow stripe will disable the engine kill feature...if that works then at least I know I have a problem with that circuit. I haven't tried this yet as I thought I would check here and see if anyone has other thoughts first. But I'm fairly convinced the issue is with the kill circuit. It did pop once when trying to start it but that's it. This again leads me to believe I have a short somewhere...

Thanks for any advice....

If you still don't have spark after eliminating the black/yellow wire from the motor you have ignition problems with the motor itself. Pack, coils, stator, timer base and ect.

Last edited:
So I have confirmed no spark and no power to the coil. I still feel this may be a corroded wire somewhere. Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated. I wondering if the problem lies in the connectors under the center console. I have had ground issues with other devices.

12 volts from the battery is not used to generate spark on that motor.---Spark is generated electronically from the spinning flywheel.---Flywheel must spin over at least 250 RPM in order to get spark.

Back