Logo

97 Searay 175 3.0lx Starting/Battery Charging Issue

Josh.406

I have a 97 Searay 175 with the 3.0lx/alpha one. When I run the boat for more than two consecutive days towards the end of the second day the battery seems to die and then of course I have issues with starting. This happened once in July and now once in September. This past weekend the boat died towards the end of the second day, I jump started it and the voltage gauge was right around 11.5 volts. I ran it for another hour without shutting it off (engine ran great as it usually does) and the voltage gauge slowly dropped to down around 10V, at that point I took it back to the ramp and pulled it out. Voltage should around 13 or so, so I obviously have some sort of charging issue, is the alternator slowly starting to die on me? Is there a voltage regulator that is separate from the alternator?

I also had another issue with the starter earlier in the day. After turning the ignition on and starting the boat the engine would fire up and run but the starter would stay engaged for about 5 seconds or so. Is this a sign of the starter going out or something else? I replaced the ignition three weeks ago.

Thanks, Josh

That's WAY too low--voltage with the motor running should be closer to 14 volts. I suspect your alternator is shot.

Jeff

Back