Logo

'97 Johnson 150, primer ball flattening changed EVERYTHING

Blue_Sky

Contributing Member
Have a J150EXERA on a 17 whaler, I believe its a 97? I've read most the threads about flat primer balls. I'm Inheriting this boat from a previous mechanic that had the the same symptoms and threw just about every part at this thing in order to get it to run right. Ive gone through it all and checked all the components that have already been replaced once. The motor has been gone through and everything is up to speed and working accordingly as far as fuel pumps and carbs etc.
The vent has been cleared, anti-siphon valve changed, pickup, primer bulb, water sep, housing, fittings, all lines. Everything has been done on this boat but after running for about 5-10 minutes, mostly while getting up on plane and increasing fuel demand, primer ball goes flat and engine dies out. If you crack the water sep there is a hiss of air so obviously there is a strong pull, and then you can get it to prime up again. I've read that you can take the anti-siphon out completely or switch to an inline check-valve will eliminate this issue? Owner is worried about safety concerns and losing prime regularly should the anti-siphon be removed. Any suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated!!

The fuel pump on the motor is working very well.------There is a restriction from the bulb to the tank or inside the fuel tank.----Should not be hard to find.

No attempt to insult your abilities here, but I'll ask a dumb question: have you confirmed the fuel lines going in and out of the water separating filter are connected to the correct ports? Many filter assemblies I've seen have 2 in and 2 out fittings, although I've never improperly connected them, I can see how it could be done easily. It sounds like just about all of the obvious possibilities have been exhausted, so now might be a good time to double check the things that can be overlooked.

KJ

Sorry for the late reply, appreciate everyones responses. Everything checked out with the primer ball going the right direction and the water separator housing, hoses etc. I had even changed one of the 90 degree fittings that was on it, to a straight fitting after re-routing the feed line, as I thought maybe a restriction could be affecting things at WOT.. Anyways.. I pulled the anti-siphon valve again and there was gunk cramming the ball closed toward the barb side of the fitting. I replaced with a straight fitting and It's running but still pulling some crap every once and a while. This boat had it's tank sweeped and the samples that were coming from the feed line were pretty damn clean tbh, but apparently not everything is out of it. Just going to run off a portable tank and call it a day. The boat apparently as I found out, sat for 5+ years before the owner decided to resurrect it. Again, appreciate everyone's responses!

Back