Logo

97 25hp johnson not run for ten years

grb1

hello,i've got a 25hp johnson that is a 96 or 97 model that has only been started a few times in the last ten years and not at all in the last 5 years.i was hoping to find out what should be done to get it running again.Any imformation would be greatly appreciated.thank you

Keep in mind that rubber deteriorates over time just sitting there. Replace all fuel lines, rebuild the carbs and fuel pump, replace the impeller and change the lower unit oil. I would also squirt some oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand several times. Seems like I'm forgetting something.

If this is a 3 cylinder motor then make sure you take the " automatic oil injection " off and throw it away as far as you can.

Check spark.Ignition part can get weak or coils crack and short to ground.I can not remember if it need to jump 1/2" gap.Getting older and have not worked on these in a while.

i would start with changing lower unit oil, little oil in cylinders and fresh gas and go from there. imo the carbs shouldnt need rebuilt or the water pump......yet. do that and if it starts and runs fine you could tear it apart this winter and do the pump and impeller imo....oh put new plugs in it now! good luck! reason i say this is i had a 80 johnson 25 that sat for 5 yrs and thats what i did and i had no problems, but every motor is different.. jmho...

Good advice by all here, if it was me I would do the impeller though. As an aside, I got a 1953 Evinrude big twin(25 hp) when I was in 8th grade (1980). I never changed the impeller(chalk it up to inexperience) and it lasted til 1992! They dont make them like they used to.

Everyone seems so eager to get oil in the cylinders, but forgets about the crank shaft and bearings. Buy a spray can of fogging oil, open the carbs fully and give a good dose in each carb throat before turning over. Oil on top of pistons will not lubricate what is below the rings. That is almost 90% of piston surface!

Back