Logo

96 vindicator 200 engine issues

mrcheezle

Hello, I recently purchased a 96 stratos with a 200hp evinrude vindicator E200stledm, ran great at test drive, the first 2 outings on is, then on my 3rd time out on it it died on the water in idle after coming off a wot run. It would turn over and run for a few seconds then die every time i tried to get it started. Ended up needing a tow to get it back.
After some testing I thought it was the vro fuel pump, and replaced it, and rebuilt the carbs while I was at it. Still have issues, i couldnt get it to stay running for more than a minute on idle, with a little gas it'd stay running a little longer.
I ended up replacing power pack on a whim and now where I'm at it will run but dies after 3 min, every time, starts right back up, but right at the 3 min mark it dies, every time. Took it on the water to see if it has any power loss, and wot wasn't all quite there, and it would what sounds like hard bogging at 1800rpm, and still at that 3 min mark, it dies, unless it's running higher than idle, but you can feel power loss at that 3 min mark and if it's put back to idle after that it'll die.
But will start right back up ready for another 3 min run.
I've changed the plugs, checked the spark, checked the compression, ran it off a separate fuel tank, checked the timing, the idle needle positions, opened the carbs again to inspect again, I'm at a loss with this engine, does anybody have any idea what could be wrong or what else I could try. Thank you.

Back