Logo

96 Johnson 48

So I'm having a couple of issues. First off the engine seems like its only running on one cylinder. If I stay the engine and let it run it seams fine but once I give it some throttle it starts arcing from the lower spark plug to the cylinder head. I have replaced the coil, power pack, plugs, plug wires. Second off the starter switch won't shut the engine down. It will start it, but once you pull the battery cable and shut the key of it keeps running. Third issues is that if I'm running it and give it throttle the starter kicks in and won't stop.

Other parts replace
Used control cable
Plugs
Wires
Head gasket
Exhaust gasket
Power pack
Coil
Starter switch

You my friend have a bad case of "it can't do that". For your spark issue try swapping the top and bottom plugs and put some dielectric grease in the plug wire to see if the problem follows the plug, the grease might be enough by itself but I wouldn't bet on it. Why did you replace the switch? It sounds like there is a wiring problem there.

Something about the wiring or the switch isn't right. The starter coming on with throttle sounds like two wires are being pushed together by the shifter or cable. The spark jumping is seen when the plug is cracked or has conductive deposits on it, you have already replaced the wire so that shouldn't be a problem.

Back