Logo

96 Johnson 200 no spark after sitting for a couple of days

gooddayfishing

Hello everyone, I have a 96 Johnson 200 Ocean Runner. The issue is after the engine has sat for more than a couple of days, it is very difficult to start. During this time (not starting) there is no spark to the plugs. Once it starts after up to 15-20 mins of trying, the rest of the day it starts immediately without issue. Runs great. If I start it the next day it starts fine, but if I wait days to restart it, no spark until many tries and then without warning or reasoning .. it starts and will keep starting over and over again. Any ideas, what to test while in the non-start mood.

Hello Joe, Using as inline spark tester, I tried multiple plugs and both banks.

Not sure what kind of tester that indicates..... Spark plugs (all) should be removed, tester should be attached to plug wire leading to 7/17" adjustable gap. Other side of tester should be grounded to powerhead.

With all spark plugs removed in order to obtain the highest cranking speed available.... remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the "M" terminal of the ignition switch. If you have spark with this wire disconnected BUT no spark with it connected... replace the ignition switch.

Inspect stator under flywheel which is the beginning of both the charging and ignition system. There will be two large black coils there that pertain to the ignition system. If either of those coils are dripping a sticky looking substance down on the powerhead area, that would cause a AC voltage drop to the powerpack's capacitor which in turn would result in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Back