Logo

96 25hp johnson ...in australia

Dirk Prummel

I need help.
Have just changed the water pump..now doesn't pump. Have disassembled and checked all is correctly installed and impellor spins on shaft. All seals new and seated correctly. Lower leg placed in water to the correct height and used drill to drive the shaft but no water coming up outlet. Crankcase and oil no leaks or water.
Do I have air or leaks somewhere else??? stopping the impellor from sucking water. I am at whits end!!!!
Please help. I am a pensioner and cannot go racing to a dealer or mechanic.

Is the drive key installed in the impeller ?------Model # of motor is ?-----Is it a 2 or 3 cylinder motor?-----When test running the water MUST be 8" ( 20 cm ) above the impeller !

Thanks for the reply. The key is in the impeller and impeller shaft rotating together perfectly.
Model: BJ25ELEUB and 2 cyclinder. I have viewed video showing water to the bottom of the impeller level and using a drill turn the drive shaft and water comes up the water pipe on the water pump. I do this so i can ascertain working order before putting whole leg back together.
I have tried whole leg but no water out of telltail.

Did the copper tube stay in the pump housing when you took the lower unit off ?-----If yes , then you must remove tube from pump.----Then put copper tube into exhaust housing first.-----Water MUST be 8" above the impeller when testing.

no, copper tube is in the exhaust housing and stays there when i remove lower leg.
I will try the 8 inches above the impeller reinstalling the leg and see what happens. This could take a while...Be back...and thanks....also the copper tube is installed correctly when i mate the the lower and upper. By the way this is an electric start.
I have cleaned the telltail pipe...no blockages.

Its late afternoon here so I am going to put everything back together again tomorrow and get back onto this to announce my/our success or otherwise. Thanks again back tomorrow.

Racerone gold contributor....it works. I just submerged the whole unit under water with a pipe out of the water pump outlet and it ALL works perfectly. A rookie mistake on my part.
Thanks and I will laud you to the highest......... until next mess it make I bid you fairwell. Dirk.

Hi racerone. I hope you can help me again.
what i want to know is "how long after engine starts does the telltail start spitting water.
There is a very small amount of water coming from the pipe but it doesn't come out in a flow.
I have enough water covering the lower leg impellor section but I am afraid to run engine for too long without supposed water going through the system.
My thinking is that the water jacket at the engine needs to be serviced???
Can you help again

not showing water just drops and spits. Could it be that when I put the leg back on, the water pipe from the exhaust housing was not connected yet somehow a small bit of water finds its way to the tell -tale? The tail is not clogged and I can breath air in to the tell-tale when connected to the water jacket.

Back