Logo

94 Rude 112hp still dying at WOT I give up

tbull

"I simply do not know what to

"I simply do not know what to do any more, this thing still shuts rights down after going at WOT for more than 20 seconds. Everything has checked out, compression was good, spark was good, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, replacing fuel lines, replaced bulb and filter, new spark plugs. What the heck else could it be guys, this is getting to the point where its becoming to frustrating to even deal with anymore....................:mad: When I mean shut down I mean comes to a stop, and dies. There is still fuel inside the glass in-line filter everytime, why is this engine doing this?"

"Does the engine still die out

"Does the engine still die out like you say "IF" you have someone pumping the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump?"

"Joe,

Yes it does, now when

"Joe,

Yes it does, now when I first put this engine on that would correct the problem, so I rebuilt the fuel pump and it solved the problem. This all started again when I was running back up river from a tourney. Came through a long no wake and the boat just went to crap after that. Batteries went dead, and would not run good at all. Jumped the batteries and got her on the trailer, took it out again and it started to quit again at WOT. Also blew the rectifier, figured that out because the tach went out. Replaced the rectifier and now the batteries charge great while running, but now the same old problem is back again. The tach still does not work after replacing the rectifier??? It almost has to be electrical at this point right? I posted this info on multiple sites because I am really hitting a dead end here."

"Travis..... You replied "

"Travis..... You replied "when I first put this engine on that would correct the problem, so I rebuilt the fuel pump and it solved the problem. This all started again when I was running back up river from a tourney".

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with some up to date advice as I retired some years before that engine was manufactured.... and my knowledge of its design and circuitry, shall we say, leaves something to be desired.

However, by your above statement, I assume that pumping the fuel primer bulb at one time corrected the problem so you repaired the fuel pump, which I assume is a VRO.

Then at a later date, the same problem surfaced once again and exists still, BUT you made no mention of pumping the fuel primer bulb again to see if it once again corrected that problem. If you did try the fuel primer bulb route again, what was the result?

If the tachometer zeros out when you turn the key to the ON or START position, that would lead me right back into the rectifier again. Check the tachometer as follows. If that engine has no terminal stril but rather has plug in connections, the test will require a slight bit of modification...... splicing the GRAY tachometer wire in to the Yellow wire.

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe, when I replied yes it do

"Joe, when I replied yes it does, I ment yes it does continue to bog down and die even while pumping the bulb. Sorry for the confusion I should have been more straight foward there, been a long stressful day. Another quick question, even though I replaced the vent lines, I have noticed that lately when I fill the boat up with gas, it wants to come back up the fill line, and all over the boat, is that pretty normal? Or does that mean there may still be a problem with the venting system in the tank? Which could cause a fuel starvation problem if it isn't corrected?"

"In one portion of my reply ab

"In one portion of my reply above, I stated "If that engine has no terminal stril but rather has plug in connections,"

That should have read "If that engine has no terminal strip but rather has plug in connections," (Electrial Terminal Strip)

Fuel backing up at the gas fill indicates that something is wrong with the vent. However, a clogged vent should result in having the fuel primer bulb drawn somewhat flat with the engine running at a higher rpm."

Try a seperate fuel supply --6

Try a seperate fuel supply --6 gallon tank and see what happens.

"I am pretty sure this has to

"I am pretty sure this has to be an ignition problem then, which would be the best way to troubleshoot between the powerpack and coils? Power pack is 98$, which is not to bad, its at the point now where it almost has to be the pack or the ignition coils...Any thoughts?"

Back