Logo

94 mariner/merc 4cyl 2 stroke ignition probs

Kyle Caminita

Inherited my grandad's boat, been working on it for two weeks to no avail...and now i've found this forum, so here goes it.

Rebuilt carbs after the boat sat up 2-3 years, put everything back together, cranked motor, fired right up but only on cyl 1&2. went and got new plugs, checked to make sure all grounds were good, swapped coils from 34 to 12 and they worked fine. so coils are good.

Took boat out, wouldn't crank. Finally cranked, redlined at 2400rpm, i assume back to 2 cyl issue. get boat home, no spark anywhere. guys...help

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but i dont have a manual and i'd love to take the wife out this evening if i can get this thing tested out and fixed.

thanks,

OK, Found This http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp And here are the recommended ranges, and what I actually got.

My process was as follows, pull engine cover, pull black cover off of the starbord side of motor to reveal electronic panel.

Set my volt meter to ohm (resistance), Touched the stud for red and red/white and got a 148.6 blue and blue/white got me a 6.41K the "OK Range" is 800-1400 so looks like my stator is shot.

Tested the trigger as well, brown to brown/white netted me a .766k & Violet and White got a .751K allowable range for trigger is .2-1.0. So i feel the trigger is okay. where's the best spot to get a stator?

Back