Logo

94 Johnson 200hp 2 stroke overheating ...Sand!

Hello boaters ,
So I ended up in the sandbox few weeks ago. Sucked in lots of sand . Once out, alarm sounded. Tried letting cool started it back up , temp rising immediately . Call seatow, get the boat back to marina. Once home I replaced impeller , water tube was plugged with sand. Flushed it out by feeding hose up the water tube into engine and the water would drain back out taking sand with it . Lots of sand! Pulled stat covers off , cleaned stats (plastic ones where the tip screws out and can be washed off).Run engine with stat covers off. Water is clean . Flushed out tell tale . Engine runs fine in a stock tank at idle.
This weekend take boat to the shore , after 2 min at WOP temp starts coming up on gauge, alarm sounds. Put in idle , engine cools down . Open throttle again after a few minutes , alarm sounds and engine won’t go past 2500rpm.
You guys think I still have sand in there? Bad thermostats ? Is there a poppet valve that needs to be cleaned/replaced ?
Any input would be great .
thanks

There is a poppet in center of block...the t-stat hoses run to it. Remove slowly so you can see how spring and valve reassemble.

There is a poppet in center of block...the t-stat hoses run to it. Remove slowly so you can see how spring and valve reassemble.

thank you for the reply ...
it looks like a “splitter” with several hoses coming out of it? Also looks like the throttle bracket is in front of it?

thank you for the reply ...
it looks like a “splitter” with several hoses coming out of it? Also looks like the throttle bracket is in front of it?
i took what I “think” you said was the poppet valve apart. It’s basically just a water diverter . That’s the only spot the tube going to the thermostat caps goes to.
On another note....Took thermos out , again, and found them packed with sand , again. So I took them off the gasket cleaned them , and tested them in hot water . They open.
Then I put gaskets and caps back on the heads and started the engine in a tub . Revved it a couple times in neutral from the throttle lever.
Took the caps off, and they packed in sand between the gasket and the cap. Would I would find sand on the other side of the gasket (where the water comes from )?
Then again took the caps off , started the engine , and revved it again like 20 seconds at a time .Water blasts out the thermostat holes .
Planning on doing this every night till the weekend and I get to test it on the water and see if it overheats .
Any suggestions on whatever else I can do would be appreciated .

Back