Logo

94' 40HP Mercury tracker tilt/trim question

40HP

I have searched for what the service manual type of fluid recommends for the tilt/trim on my 40HP mercury 94'.. But seem to always find what people are using in it.. not what Mercury recommends.

Being a Saturday... I probably won't find a boat shop open and will be limited to Walmart or similar stores... Can anyone tell me what is recommended from Mercury and then I can follow up to see if I can find somewhere open that can accommodate.

This is exactly what Merc has to say:

Fill cylinder cylinder using Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid. If not available, use automotive (ATF) automatic transmission fluid.

PS - Quicksilver fluid is $7.49 for 8oz at Bass Pro. A quart of Penzoil ATF is $3.90 at PEP Boys. That's why "everyone" simply uses Walmart ATF or Power Steering fluid instead of 8oz of ATF poured into a Quicksilver bottle which equates to 30 bucks a quart.

Last edited:
Remove fill screw and check fluid level, it should be to the bottom of threads in fill hole. ATF fluid type F, FA, or Dexron 11 is recommended if Quicksilver Piwer trim & Steering fluid isn’t available. Happy boating.

Back