Logo

94 225 low water pressure?

oldschoolnc

Contributing Member
New water pump, gasket glued, double checked, all o-rings and housing to plate o-ring placement. Hooked garden hose to water tube, no leaks from tube, after 10 sec. or so block filled and water gushed out of normal area on mid. No water pressure indicated. (guage tested ok) It has the 2.6 heads.... I pulled the thermostat cover and found no thermostats in plastic housing,Just the plastic housing screwed to the diaphram, and no thermo seats or grommet.. seems obvious, but would the lack of these items cause no water pressure? Initially before i pulled the lower back off to re check pump, I put a clear hose on the pressure nipple and water came out of it but if i raised it the water leveled off at about even with the flywheel. Any comments would be appreciated, Thanks.

In a word..... Yes!

The lack of the thermostat, and other water regulating items, results in a free flow situation (no back pressure).

Thanks, Joe! Just needed some reassurance on that. I bought the motor a couple of months ago. Motor was built by evolution marine, a few years ago, lotta exh port work, 1 5/8 carbs, composite reeds, ect... 140+ comp on all six. The lower is wild looking. The guy I bought The motor from said he has been running it like it is, but he had no wp gauge. I,m in NC and the water temp now is about 50ish. I have read that the loopers like to be warm.... I did scope it and saw no signs of scuffing.... BTW it's going on a hydrostream valero, I just finished the bottom a week ago, and got it rigged. Should be exciting! Thanks Again!!

I bought the motor a couple of months ago. The lower is wild looking.
How do you mean the Lower Unit is wild looking? Can you post a pic? My engine has the Lightning gear case which is more pointed on the end with a built-in speedometer pickup.

Here is a lightning gear case:
lightning_Case.jpg

Here is a performance aftermarket gear case. Does it look more like this?
aftermarket_case.jpg

Got to be careful with them heads as if on closed deck block they need dam installed, Does it have the water valve on the throttle???

No on the water valve..... when you say dam, is that the tube inserts in the water jacket like some crossflows had? Please educate me on dam placement. I just don't understand how it "ran fine" for the previous owner? was he just lucky, or full of s***? Anyone have any info or pics of Dam placement? HELP PLEASE!

IMG

If you have a closed deck block you place a epoxy dam in the cylinder head passages, if a open deck your ok. 1994 year could go either way. Need picture of heads as should not have pressure style diaphragm's if no water valve

What is the difference in open and closed deck blocks? when i had my Heads off the I could see the water jacket around each cyl, is that what you mean? The heads do have the diaphram type thermo covers, there are plugs whare the hoses would go....

Thanks faztbullet, Yeah, mine is open deck. I'm gonna install stats and diphrams,was thinking about putting custom springs behind the diaphrams to keep pop off seated. I;d use springs with same pressure as used on other pop off valves...... Yea or Nay? Thanks for your Time!

Bob's low water pick up nose cone. Intakes are on bottom of cone.... All set up and at level trim, top of prop shaft is even with bottom of pad for now, May go up an inch. It has a 10" set back jack plate. Empty Hydrostream Valero YT.. 650lb +or- hull. 285ish hp, swinging a 30 pitch cleaver.. Motor pushed a heavier Allison bass boat to 96 @7000 with 29p Mazco. I have vid of that..... Allisons are pretty special hulls,, but Hydrostreams are pretty fast too... I'll take any comments good or bad. THANKS...

The odds of a Allison blowing over at speed is a WHOLE lot lower than a HStream. Your motor is almost as heavy as boat. Jack it up to keep nose down as HS get a little flighty.

Thanks fazbullet. I agree! I just bought a used type 1 vest with leg straps to keep it from ripping off, just in case..... My last boat was a Sprint fs 277 with a 95 60 degree 175, on a 6" sb plate, 24p renegade,(23 reworked to 24)..Great motor, Great prop for that application, I loved it, but I really had to work to keep it from chine walking above 63.. I would top out at 70gps at 6100 with just me and 6 gal. of gas, But it was a challenge to keep it there...lol. THANKS AGAIN!

Back