Logo

93 Mercruiser 5.0L Alpha has no power

KH1975

We have a 1993 Larson Hampton 220 cabin cruiser with a 93 mercruiser 5.0L Alpha that won't go more than 14 mph and won't go more than 3000rpm. It has been in storage for the last three summers. We replaced the carb, starter, batteries, charging system, impellor and thermostat oil change... the last season we used the boat we started having problem with the carb, 2 jets we plugged, we are the second owners on this boat and the card had damage from the ethanol. My wife got sick so we haven't used the boat and the first thing I did this year was order a new carb. I worked through all the issues and finally got it in the water this past Thursday. We launch our boat down the street from the marina and drive it to our slip. The trip thurs was fine. Took it out yesterday. And it stalled before we even got out of the marina. It didn't seem to be getting enough gas. Finally got it started and it was okay for about 5 minutes than no power again. Any help would be great.

Jets don't get plugged up unless some serious crud is getting through a filter. I'd start looking there.

Jeff

Yes emptied fuel tank completely, refilled with non ethanol gas before installing the new carb. We got 5500rpm when the boat was not under load today sitting in the marina..

Over revving your engine in neutral means nothing and is not a good practice. I would hook up a remote fuel can and retest.

Back