Logo

93 Johnson 60TLET - High Idle

PFiddy

Looking for a little help.

The VRO failed on this engine 20 years ago and I have been running premix since then. The mechanic who repaired it did a great job - its been great since then. He told me that the idle would be a little high - and that he had to set it that way because the VRO had been removed. It was high - but it generally got better (lower) after it warmed up, it clunked a bit going into gear.

Boat sat for a few years while I paid for kids to go to college (sound familiar?) but have gotten back in the game in the last few years.

Boat still runs great but the idle is higher now - and clunking more going into gear.

I've got the manual - but there is no direct instruction on how to drop the idle speed on this motor. Seems like its a combination of things.

Is there a simple way to adjust idle on these things? What did the mechanic have to do to adjust for the removal of the VRO - and can I adjust that?

Pretty wide open question, I realize. I'm competent with motors - not an expert. Thanks and I appreciate any help.

??----There is no need to speed up the idle because VRO is removed !----Find the idle stop screw on the throttle arm ( on the motor ) back it out a bit.----May have turn the black plastic thingy on cable as well to pull against the stop screw.

Back