Logo

93 evinrude 115 no spark cyl 4

boombalaty

So I recently picked up this 115hp and took it out today and it just would not pull over 30 mph and I knew this was not right. My 70 would pull my rig at 30. Did seem like it was running rough so I took it home and found cyl 4 has no fire at all. Plugs are good and I also put a coil I know is good in cyl 4 coil position and still no spark. From what I have read the stator trigger for coils are split port ans starboard side so if the stator was the issue, I would have no spark on cyl 2 either, correct? I am left with the assumption that the issue almost has to be the power pack. Does that sound right?

I do not have a peak volt meter but there was a significant difference in out put between the 3 coil outputs that fire and the one that does not at the poser pack.

On another note it seems my tach is not working either. I dotn know if these are related problems or not. I am running my old controls at the moment but will switch them out in the morning and also check that I dont have a loose tach wire or something silly like that.

EDIT:
AND after looking up the model # I realize this is a 1977 115 not a 1993.... It may or may not even be worth my time to fix... IDK what to do here. I gave 1500 for boat motor and trailer.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Oh and I just received my 4th order from marineengine.com, perfect as usual.

Last edited:
is there a kill switch wire on the points.might be grounding out preventing spark.

I will give that a look tomorrow. Would it not kill spark to all of the cylinders or at least that side. I didnt even consider that since 3 cyl fire as they should.

I will give that a look tomorrow. Would it not kill spark to all of the cylinders or at least that side. I didnt even consider that since 3 cyl fire as they should.
There are no points on a 1977 115 hp. Swap the coil from the bad cylinder with one from a good cylinder. If the no spark follows the coil replace it. www.cdielectronics.com has a troubleshooting guide for your ignition. The tach not working is either a bad rectifier or bad tach.

There are no points on a 1977 115 hp. Swap the coil from the bad cylinder with one from a good cylinder. If the no spark follows the coil replace it. www.cdielectronics.com has a troubleshooting guide for your ignition. The tach not working is either a bad rectifier or bad tach.

The coil is good. I swapped the one not firing with a known good one and still no spark. Power pack?

My recommendation is to go to the web site for CDI a was was mentioned earlier. You may need a special tool of sorts too. Not one of OMC best electrical systems. You really need to get a concept of this system to diagnose it. A lot of them still around. Make sure of your model and serial number

Back