Logo

93 57L vbelt question

mercruier

"I want to replace my alternat

"I want to replace my alternator belt (squeels & adjustment maxed out), and this seems to require removal of the water pump v-belt first. Is there anything tricky about removing the water pump v-belt? Could not find it in the manual. The engine has fresh water cooling, and no serpentine belt.
thanks in advance for any help.
Roger"

"What engine? On my 5.7 there

"What engine? On my 5.7 there are 2 belts and they both turn the water pump. I believe one goes around the harmonic balancer, water pump, and alternator. The other one goes around the harmonic, water pump, and power steering. Nothing tricky, the tension for each belt will be adjusted by one of the accessories. Loosen the 2 accessories and slide them in and the belts should be able to be removed."

"the power steering pump tensi

"the power steering pump tensions one of the belts, the altenator tensions it's belt."

"THe engine is a 5.7L 260hp 19

"THe engine is a 5.7L 260hp 1993, SN OD85... It has 3 v-belts (PS, alt, water pump). The water pump and alt v-belts share double pulleys, so the alt v-belt cannot be removed without first removing the water pump belt. Tensioning the belts is easy, replacing is not so simple. Anyway, I checked with a mechanic, and the water pump has to be removed to remove its v-belt. Thanks to those who offered help."

"Just pulled my manual, it sou

"Just pulled my manual, it sounds like you are describing a closed cooling system which I believe has an extra belt driven water pump called a seawater pump. It looks like your mechanic is correct, no adjustment, remove pump to replace belt. My 1994 engine is raw water cooled and only has the impeller and the circulator (auto type) water pump."

Back