Logo

92 Evinrude 120 Lower unit stuck 3/4 out.

Peanut92

Hey Fellow boat owners.
Im stuck in a bit of a pickle. so this is my first outboard its a 1992 Evinrude 120HP v4 engine model E120TXEND.
I have played around fixing things here and there on the outboard over the last couple of years however I am now stuck with the boat in the driveway with a lower unit half hanging out on a milk crate while I am running around in circles frustrated.

Here is the short story.
outboard stopped pumping water. impeller overdue for change so I ordered a replacement kit.
Kit has arrived I have watched a few videos on Youtube. however their pin bolts were in different spots none the less I located mine and removed it.
I then removed the 4 bolts on the sides of the lower unit as well as the 1 under the trim tab and the one slightly forward of that above the prop.

Once this was all done just like every other video the lower unit started to slide out until it gets almost 90% of the way out the shift rod becomes stuck. The driveshaft is completely free and able to be moved around easily. The shift rod however does not. I've tried pulling, I've tried malleting. something is not right. I have spoken to 2 outboard technicians, one whom has never come across this problem. the other has had a similar problem once a long time ago and advised it could be either Rust ( which I could rule out as is moves freely until it reaches the end. ) a bolt has obstructed the tube. ( I personally haven't dropped a bolt in there so I can almost rule this out) and lastly it could have pulled a grommet down from the top of the tube.
I have had a check with my hand and it feels like the top rubber bush is still in place. I do notice a foam piece at the end of the mid section. It feels like its around the area its getting stuck.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before and could point me in the right direction or where to start next.
I am about pulling my hair out as I don't know what to do next. Perhaps a seasoned professional may have some advice for me.

Thanks in advance

Yes this was the first thing I removed. originally I removed the wrong one then located the correct one and removed it before removing the lower unit bolts.
It was a pin bolt.

Just get the local " high school wrasling champ " to give you a hand.----It should pull down.-----Or unscrew the shift rod from the case.----Then you will understand what is holding it.

Just get the local " high school wrasling champ " to give you a hand.----It should pull down.-----Or unscrew the shift rod from the case.----Then you will understand what is holding it.

its pulling down almost a meter! will have a mate coming to help me tomorrow.
I really don't want to unscrew the shift rod that'll open another can of worms and I'll still probably have the issue of the shift rod not coming out. It's definitely the shift rod holding it in. I just don't know why.

The kink on the end of shift rod needs ro come through a rubber grommet.----Needs a bit of extra effort !

I Thought this may be the case but everyone else doesn't seem to have a problem it just slides out like its on rails. ill have an extra set of hands will see how I go tomorrow.

Update fellas.
No idea why but there seems to be a dog leg in the shift rod. because of this there seemed to be no way to get it out.
a misaligned shift tube may have had some impact. Nonetheless that leg was not coming out attached to the shift rod.

Solution unscrew shift shaft from gearbox and continue with impeller change.
boats back together and running now.

The dog leg is on all of them !---And the rod always comes out.-----Hopefully you installed the shift rod to the correct dimension.

Back