Logo

91 Johnson GT 150 Possibly Seized

92 SeaRay

Hi all, new to the forums here, and hoping for some help. I’ve scanned through similar topics, but can’t find someone with the same issue I’m facing. This post will be long winded as I try to give as much detail as possible.

I just bought a 1992 Searay 180 with a 1991 Johnson GT150 on the back (JV150SLEIE to be exact). When I originally looked at the boat, the owner ran the boat on muffs in the driveway. It fired right up and idled smooth. When I came back to pick the boat up, he revealed that the boat has been out of the water for 2 years, but he removed “most of the bad gas”. When I got it home, I filled the rest of the tank with premium and gave it a heavy dose of SeaFoam.

First trip to the lake wasn’t the greatest. It would stall at idle and low speeds, so trailering was fun. Seemed to run great at anything above idle. No hesitation and ran smooth, but would still stall out pretty quick when I brought back down to idle. During this trip I found out the tach wasn’t working. Following advice I found in this forum, I grabbed a new tach, which also didn’t work. So I jumped my grey wire to yellow/grey at the engine terminal strip and it started working. I am waiting on the new rectifier to come in.

I took it out a second time to see if the SeaFoam and new gas had any effect, but the boat was running about the same.

After my second run, I looked up some manuals and started to tear things apart. I changed spark plugs to OEM recommended Champion plugs, changed fuel filter and ran a Johnson/Evinrude decarb spray. One thing worth noting is that during the decarb, the SLOW alarm came on as the bucket of water had dropped below the water intake. I quickly jumped out and added cold water, and the engine was running at idle during the time, so I don’t think this caused any damage.

My third and final trip, things seemed to be going great. Idle was much smoother, still not prefect, but it was good enough to trailer and dock before stalling. My top end was also about 5MPH higher. About half hour into our trip running at WOT at the time, there was a loud thud and I lost all power. Engine was still revving high, felt like a spun prop. I immediately dialed the throttle back to idle and cut the engine when we came to a stop. I started it up again after a quick inspection and it was running rough, almost felt like a misfire. So I started back very slowly to the marina. Ran for about 5 minutes then died. After that, starter would only make a clunk and stop. Pulled the cowling and saw the flywheel seemed to be stuck, tried pull starting and couldn’t get the flywheel to move an inch.

From scanning all the forums, I read to take plugs out the plugs and try to turn the flywheel, as the compression may be preventing me from turning. Pulled all the plugs and no luck. Also, I didn’t notice any water in the cylinders when I pulled the plugs. I have yet to pull the leg to isolate the issue to above or below yet. That’s my next step.

I’m no marine mechanic, but in my limited knowledge, a seized engine would either be a lack of oil or water in the cylinders. Either of which would cause heat and the SLOW to activate, which I know was working. I’m stumped, and trying to avoid spending thousands at a marine mechanic on a 30+ YO engine. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 in your tank ??-----Or is VRO in service and tested ???----Check gear oil .----Remove lower unit and see if motor turns.

Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 in your tank ??-----Or is VRO in service and tested ???----Check gear oil .----Remove lower unit and see if motor turns.
Thank you for the response. If VRO failed, then it was very recently. Had the air box cover off between last 2 outings and had 2 stroke oil each time (I made sure to clean each trip to make sure). I am removing the leg tonight and will check.

Prop spins freely in neutral. In forward, it will not spin CCW, but spins CW (with a click every 8th turn). Reverse prop will not spin either direction. Not sure if that helps at all.

Action of the prop is normal.----Were there any alarms when it acted up?----Did previous owner say anything about VRO being bypassed ?------Installed a new impeller before using the motor ??

Action of the prop is normal.----Were there any alarms when it acted up?----Did previous owner say anything about VRO being bypassed ?------Installed a new impeller before using the motor ??
No alarms, so it didn’t overheat. VRO is not bypassed, he was using oil tank on the VRO and says it was operating fine for him 2 years ago. He removed about 60% of old gas. I added a heavy dose of SeaFoam and filled the rest of the tank with premium. I’ve run about 2 full tanks through, and decarbed after the old fuel was used up, so I don’t think it was water from the old fuel.

I have not installed a new impeller, but when I get the leg off, I will replace it. This engine has a terrible location for the shifter bolt, so I’m struggling to drop the leg ATM!

No alarms, so it didn’t overheat. VRO is not bypassed, he was using oil tank on the VRO and says it was operating fine for him 2 years ago. He removed about 60% of old gas. I added a heavy dose of SeaFoam and filled the rest of the tank with premium. I’ve run about 2 full tanks through, and decarbed after the old fuel was used up, so I don’t think it was water from the old fuel.

I have not installed a new impeller, but when I get the leg off, I will replace it. This engine has a terrible location for the shifter bolt, so I’m struggling to drop the leg ATM!
Ok, so update. I had the cylinders soaking in a penetrating oil and put a breaker bar on the flywheel. I was able to turn the flywheel in reverse! When I turned it forward though, it would get back to the same spot and stop. I could go about 1 full rotation in reverse until it would come to a dead stop. Between those 2 spots I can get it to turn easily by hand now. Took a bit of rocking back and forth, but it is now smooth. Do you think if I keep applying penetrating oil and working the flywheel that it may free up?

I dropped the leg but it had no effect. Problem lies in the power head.

Something is broken if flywheel comes to a solid stop !----Oil won't help that.-----Removed the lower unit ????
Ok guys, another update for you. I pulled both heads, and first thing I noticed was no head gaskets…. Like just an imprint from where they used to be… IMG_0249.jpeg

All the cylinders look and feel fine. No burrs or any gouges. I noticed a bit of play in every piston (I can wiggle slightly). So, I held the flywheel against the point of no return with some pressure and tried piston by piston. Cylinder 4 I can feel the pressure when I’m putting pressure on my flywheel, so I’m certain that’s the one. Also, when I took the head bolts off around that cylinder they were super rusted and close to snapping. What could this be? Is this salvageable?

Ok guys, another update for you. I pulled both heads, and first thing I noticed was no head gaskets…. Like just an imprint from where they used to be… View attachment 30823

All the cylinders look and feel fine. No burrs or any gouges. I noticed a bit of play in every piston (I can wiggle slightly). So, I held the flywheel against the point of no return with some pressure and tried piston by piston. Cylinder 4 I can feel the pressure when I’m putting pressure on my flywheel, so I’m certain that’s the one. Also, when I took the head bolts off around that cylinder they were super rusted and close to snapping. What could this be? Is this salvageable?
Sorry, forgot to mention the lower unit is off.

and the fire rings are a give away. the middle cyl looks like the fire ring may be broken but maybe just the way it looks without having it in my hands i couldnt be sure

The word ---" TOP " ----is clearly visible on the head gasket !
Yes, sorry. I saw the extra gasket material (maybe silicone) that was pretty much dust. One of the head gaskets looks damaged around one of the head bolts. Not too bad though.
and the fire rings are a give away. the middle cyl looks like the fire ring may be broken but maybe just the way it looks without having it in my hands i couldnt be sure
The picture I took is of the right side. The cylinder I’m suspecting is on the left. Either way, all pistons move throughout the full range and flywheel stops at the same point forward or backward. Is it something upstream? In the crankcase?

looks like you get to split the case its a 2 smoke not much else where to look
Thank you for getting back to me. Motor is pretty torn down at this point. I have the carbs off as I was going to rebuild anyways. I don’t have an OEM service manual for this motor, but I was able to find a diagram with an exploded view. Is my next step to remove the plate that held all the carbs? Will I have access to the crankshaft then?

48136.gif
ive never split the case on one of these but you will have to separate the case (1) to remove the crank from the block but you might be able to inspect it through the reed valve ports but like i said ive never had one of these apart

Powerhead has to be removed in order to split the crankcase.---Hve you found both head gaskets ??-----Checked flywheel magnets ?

Powerhead has to be removed in order to split the crankcase.---Hve you found both head gaskets ??-----Checked flywheel magnets ?
I have the OEM manual coming in the next couple days. I’m waiting on that before I proceed any further. I will update this thread when I know more!

Back