Logo

90bs 15hp lower cowl removal

tomf

Regular Contributor
"Hi forum,

back online and

"Hi forum,

back online and (hopefully soon) back on the water after a winter's hibernation.
sun.gif

Quick question regarding a 1993 15hp: Is there any way to take off the lower cowl on these things that doesn't involve removing the entire powerhead?

While doing a few minor repairs to get the boat back in action I found some parts in the shift shaft & control cable assemblies that probably need to be replaced. Just removing the lower cowl would make it much easier to work on these, but I have a feeling this might not be an option?"

"Sorry Tom, no.

It's a

"Sorry Tom, no.

It's a single piece and the bottom opening is just slightly larger than the top of the exhaust housing - so won't quite stretch over the powerhead.

But, this is just a 15 horse and pulling the powerhead is super easy. Unhook the tell tale from the fitting at the base, unhook the harness to the kill switch and take out the screw holding the gas line connector. Then remove the choke/primer assembly and undo the 6 (I think) bolts that hold the powerhead on.

It takes 15 minutes. Any you need only replace the base gasket (about 12 bucks at Merc).

That will save you a few skinned knuckles and prevent you re-christening the motor with names that start with "F" and "B" or "sonofa"
"

"Yes, that's the correct o

"Yes, that's the correct one Tom. It sits on top of the exhaust plate. Try to leave the plate alone, there is another gasket under it (sandwiches the plate).

Unless of course when you have the powerhead off you notice significant carbon build-up in the exhaust tube itself. It's basically an 1 1/4" pipe permanently connected to the plate and it extends down about a foot or so into the housing.

It can get carboned up to the point of almost closing completely. If it looks at all suspect you can either pull the assembly and clean it out, or leave it in place and kinda ream it out - if clogged, a good clean up will make a noticable difference in the performance of the motor..."

"OK! Ordered the gasket today

"OK! Ordered the gasket today along with replacements for the other offending parts, so I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks again."

Back