Logo

90 hp lower unit grease

I want to change the lower unit grease on me 2004 -90hp mercury,but not sure what grease to use.I have seen some 90w quicksilver grease for a mercury.Is that what I need to use thanks for any help

Your lower unit should take oil not grease. Get oil made specifically for outboard lower units. The oil will have additives that help it lubricate with up to 10% water(read the label to verify 10%). Not sure what weight the oil is. Quicksilver is a good brand but can by pricey.

OIl is so cheap compared to the cost of gears / bearings and labor at a big shop.----Go to your Mercury dealer and get the good stuff.

Walmart Sporting Goods section handles Mercury/Quicksilver Premium LU oil. Not all that pricy and depending on your usage and seal conditions one change will last a long time....does for me. In the Quart which is what you will want to use, has a pump and hose. Pop your two two vent screws just above the AV plate on the starboard side, Remove the drain screw and let it drain with the engine vertical.

Insert the adapter in the drain hole and pump. When oil comes out the front vent hole insert the screw. When it comes out the rear hole insert the screw. Remove the fill adapter quickly.....engine can be tilted up for convenience.....and insert the drain screw. Done deal. If you have access to new seals for the screws use them. This is how I change the oil on my 2002 90 and 115 2 strokers.

Back