Logo

90 hp 2 stroke and water seperator

n2wly

Hello ,this might be a stupid question but twice I tried to mount a water seperator on my 18 foot Trophy. It has a90 hp 2 stroke Merc Anyone that runs fine. when I connect the seperator in line after the bulb andpump it up I bleed it its full pump the bulb again try and start it but wont start. I know it only has that small vacum type fuel pump maybe it cant pull it through. there is no restriction at all in the seperator. Any one have this problem or can share pics of there instalattion its only a 90hp. The water seperator is metal filter part with plastic bowl on bottom.
ac_ul320__e9011f998716bdd66b60ba73e735fee182f00e62.jpg

Agree with Jim and also your idea about the ability of the internal fuel pump to suck hard enough. I installed that exact separator/filter in my 2 stroke 115 (had been through the pump, filters and lines) and had problems sucking from my 24 gallon bilge mounted tank. I installed an electric fuel pump feeding the filter and that worked ok but that didn't last that long.

I decided since my boat was an '02 and tank capacity at 24 gallons, when my outings these days amount to about an hour's cruising, I was headed in the wrong direction on trying to ensure that my fuel was fresh, dry, and no crud. I removed the filter and pump and got a couple of 6 gallon portable tanks where I knew the fuel was fresh and did not contain particles, or water and have been happy ever since. My boat is for me and I boat alone, 20+ year old boat, convenience, reliability, and convenience are my priorities, not looks. This works for me.

Agree with Jim and also your idea about the ability of the internal fuel pump to suck hard enough. I installed that exact separator/filter in my 2 stroke 115 (had been through the pump, filters and lines) and had problems sucking from my 24 gallon bilge mounted tank. I installed an electric fuel pump feeding the filter and that worked ok but that didn't last that long.

I decided since my boat was an '02 and tank capacity at 24 gallons, when my outings these days amount to about an hour's cruising, I was headed in the wrong direction on trying to ensure that my fuel was fresh, dry, and no crud. I removed the filter and pump and got a couple of 6 gallon portable tanks where I knew the fuel was fresh and did not contain particles, or water and have been happy ever since. My boat is for me and I boat alone, 20+ year old boat, convenience, reliability, and convenience are my priorities, not looks. This works for me.
I’ll try it before the bulb,my tank is 52 gallon and last quite a while

Back