Logo

9.9 running rough

SIMBACAT1

Hey everyone, thankso in advance for assistance.
Before My Father in law passed away he gave me his 1980 9.9 Johnson. It's been sitting for 3 Yeats. I cleaned it up, fresh Gas 6 pulls and it started right up. However , when I open it up it want to chug, and then die. Idles perfect, re-starts without choke? Thoughts?

Also, I haven't changed impeller, although good flow out exhaust should it be changed?

If engine is not running hot leave impeller alone. Test engine temp by placing hand in telltale stream,can you hold hand there indefinitely ,it's fine! A digital infrared gun will work also

It's probably the carburetor needs cleaning but check that it's pumping water good n not overheating first, if your good with water n temp clean carb YouTube how to clean it if you don't know how it's pretty easy

It's probably the carburetor needs cleaning but check that it's pumping water good n not overheating first, if your good with water n temp clean carb YouTube how to clean it if you don't know how it's pretty easy

Thank you, I believe the tell tale tube is clogged, nothing at all coming out. I ran it with muffs for 15 minutes, I could leave my hand under exhaust.

Thank you, I believe the tell tale tube is clogged, nothing at all coming out. I ran it with muffs for 15 minutes, I could leave my hand under exhaust.

Sitting for any great length of time, that happens quite frequently (ants, etc). Clean out the line with a piece of wire, whatever it takes.

So you don't see any water running out at all? Feel heads while running n see if you can hold your finger on it if u can't its overheating, blow tell tube out with air start with making sure water is pumping then maybe move onto carb if needed, lots of videos on how to change your impeller on YouTube as well if it's not pumping Water

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm very surprised it even runs at all, vines, weeds, even tree limbs growing up through the motor.
And all it took was fresh Gas and 5 Pulls!

One tough Motor.....

Did you rebuild carb,#1post said "when i open it up it wants to chug and die. Did engine repair itself? What was the fix?

Some other suggestions:

1. I DO suggest you replace the impeller. At 3 years, especially sitting, it's time to replace as a matter of good maintenance.
2. I learned firsthand that motors sitting around can get insect nests of all types built within the water circulation system - including the all the way up in the T-stat housing (I should have taken a picture of that one on my 1982 15 HP!).
3. The carb clean is pretty simple on this motor. When you do this I suggest, before re-installing the carb, to flush the fuel lines just in case there is any debris in the lines that would re-clog your nice clean carb. Just pump the primer bulb a handful of times to clear the lines.
4. If a fuel filter is not installed on the side of the motor where the coil packs are, please do so.

Good luck.

CMOS

Добрый день,
эти двигатели очень сильно зависят от хорошей подачи топлива.
Резервуар клапан должен быть полностью открыт!
Продолжайте следить поток топлива через трубопровод. (На завел мотор , чтобы отсоединить шланг от карбюратора и посмотреть)
Чтобы проверить карбюратор (поплавковой камеры)
система охлаждения
Если отверстие выходит жидкость, отсоедините коробку передач и изменять рабочее колесо. Вода должна идти сразу после заводки двигателя.
[Видео = YouTube; VrbOrlb6CNQ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbOrlb6CNQ [/ видео]
41130редуктор.jpgFPump2.jpgFPump5.jpgFPump6.jpgFPump7.jpgFPump8.jpg

Last edited:
Watch this VERY carefully. I bought a '79 Evinrude 9.9 to use as a kicker motor. I had similar issues of low water flow that led to an overheated engine. I chased these issues until Joe Reeves finally set me straight. You can see everything I did here:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?429396-1979-Evinrude-9-9-water-restriction

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:
1) Replaced water pump housing and impeller
2) Removed Power head
3) Replaced thermostat and cleaned T-stat housing
4) Removed exhaust plate, cleaned passages
5) Removed engine head, ensured water passages clear
6) REPLACED WATER TUBE GROMMET IN THE BASE OF THE POWER HEAD

I'm certain #6 was the real culprit in my situation. However, since this motor had an unknown history and I was having water flow issues, it was worth the time and little bit of $$ to go through all of those things to rule out any additional variables.

KJ

Back