Logo

8hp mercury

14mclark

hi, i have an 8 hp 1988 mercury 2 stroke that runs flawlessly, i have it on my 14 ft jon boat and was wondering if i could put a throttle control and a side console with a steering wheel, i have already seen side consoles and steering wheels made for jon boats i just need to know if what i am trying to do is possible thanks

The kit to hook up the throttle/shift cables is (merc part) 42805A6 - list price is $157.46

The kit to convert the steering is 11606A1 (steering cable entry from starboard side) or 11606A2 (port entry) - list price $111.58

Add the cost of the control shifter itself (anywhere from 30 bucks on Ebay to a couple hundred for a new OEM), plus a couple of cables (abt 35 bucks each) and don't forget a steering system (Teleflex has "steering in a box" for about 150 bucks - cable, wheel, unit etc).

The actual conversion itself is not that difficult. There are excellent instructions included with the control conversion kit including step by step pictures (I have converted more than a couple of these portables). You just need a few basic tools (nothing specialized at all) - socket set or some box wrenches is perfect.

As you can see though, it could turn into a bit of a pricey proposition. Dropping 500 bucks to convert would not be unusual.

Of course, if you want to add electric start you simply add merc part 50-90983A5 and part with another $316.58 :)

Back