Logo

8h Mariner question

Kipwrite

Hi,
I’ve found a clean 8hp Mariner with the following serial number.
Mariner 8. 677 S025181
i think this is a mid 70’s Yamaha built short shaft but would like confirmation.
Seller wants $350 which seems high. Appears spotless and runs well.
Thoughts?

I would buy it......spotless? Runs well? You are correct on the years I do believe. The earlier Mariners were Yamaha, excellent motors. Someday the 2 strokes will be all phased out, I'll have to hang my 50 running 2 strokes on the wall.

So I bought it for $300 and it runs well.
The prior owner changed the plugs recently and the lower unit oil and has kept it greased and run only in fresh water so I think I lucked out. He put in a new rope several decades ago. I don’t think it’s been used much.
Im thinking a new condenser, lower unit oil change and a new impeller (the original is 40 years old) but I can’t find an impeller part number on Crowley. Anyone know what impeller this motor takes?

What else would you do in terms of preventative maintenance on a 40 year old motor.

Probably the Merc # 47-95611M, or Sierra 18-3063. Probably about 20 bucks. Get some Amsoil PI and run with your fuel mix at recommended ratio. Its great additive and has given me better results than Stabil. Take off the prop and remove the fishing line wrapped on the shaft. Use only non oxy fuel and Amsoil 100 to 1, 2 stroke pre mix oil mixed at 64:1 or 2 oz. per gallon. New spark plugs and clean and/or replace any fuel filters or screens, including the one in your fuel tank. Excellent motor, great deal.

Last edited:
Back