Logo

89 XP200 High Idle

"My XP200 has developed a high

"My XP200 has developed a high idle of 1100 rpm. It just started doing it 2 weeks ago after an outing on 45deg water. Seems like it is stuck on quickstart.

1 Year ago, I was having poor idle problems that turned out to be thermostats that were stuck open. I have a temp gauge that shows it is coming up to temp when idling. Is it possible that one side of the block is staying cold while the other side, where the temp sender is located, is coming up to temp?

Where do I start looking to solve this problem?

Maintenance performed last year.....

Rebuilt Carbs
Replaced VRO
Replaced Stator
Replaced Rectifier
Replaced Power Pack
Replaced Thermostats"

"if u have a factory serv man,

"if u have a factory serv man,do the stuck in quick start tests.
but,here is some basics,..at idle,ground the wht/blk wire on port hd,that COMES FROM the pack...that should release QS
next,..make sure u have no voltage---ZERO on yell red,after,...eng is running on start solenoid....."

"Was out this weekend & he

"Was out this weekend & here is what I discovered.

The "quickstart" is functioning as it should. When starting I have a high idle of 1500 & a low idle of 1100. When in gear, I'm turning about 600. The factory service manual says I should be running 575 to 750 in gear. So, am I worried about nothing? It just seems to be idling about 200rpm higher than normal. Would the cold winter air be causing this? I also noticed that both heads were at the same temp, so the thermostats seem to be functioning fine."

Just wanted to comment that 11

Just wanted to comment that 1100 to 1500 rpm's is too high for normal shifting into gear. I would worry that over the long term you would do some gear damage in the lower unit.

"your tach should be verified,

"your tach should be verified,then if in fact,u are idling at 15,u r gonna mees up some expensive gearing....a person that wks on them reg,would be able to tell u if u r act idling that fast,w/out another tach.--make sure your tach,is set on pos -6-"

"I have an extra tach & wi

"I have an extra tach & will be verifying the rpm's tonight. But, I believe I will find it is correct. The 1500rpm is when the quickstart is in effect, it is at 1100 after quickstart is canceled. I don't shift it in gear until it idles down.

Just for arguments sake, where should I start looking cause a gain in idle rpms. Vacuum leak? timing? linkage? This high idle just started in the last couple of outings. One weekend it was idling in neutral at 900rpm, warmed up, & the next, it was 1100rpm & I never removed the cowling."

"Just to satisfy my curiosity,

"Just to satisfy my curiosity, why did you have to replace all the electrical components...stator, PP, rectifier? Those are not maintenance parts...

Almost sounds like you had some sort of catastrophic electrical issue.

Thanks"

"i would look at throttle cabl

"i would look at throttle cable,and idle adj screw..slack,in cable/box,could keep it fr returning to idle pre-set adj."

"if all that is ok check the f

"if all that is ok check the flywheel, the inside mags. can slip and cause a fast idle, the best way to check is try a known good wheel"

"actually,...its the timer whe

"actually,...its the timer wheel,on the inside ring of flywheel,..good point tho!...i had that exact prob myself on my 97 200,..but it would fluctuate at high rpm.if it has slipped at all it'll screw up both low and high spd timing."

"after looking at his eng spec

"after looking at his eng specs,..i am pretty sure the ring is cast IN the flywheel,not glued on.....worth cking tho."

"Doug

Replaced the stator &

"Doug

Replaced the stator & rectifier due to the infamous "melting stator" that fried the rectifier. Replaced the power pack just because I was already there and knew that they go "south" occasionally.

JWB

Going to check the cable & linkage tonight for binding. Forgot to post the model #, it is a E200STLCEB.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming!!"

"Checked the cable & linka

"Checked the cable & linkage. Found that the idle adj screw was not contacting to stop on the block. Adjusted the cable to fix this condition. It made no change in idle whatsoever.

I did realize something though, this started right after putting fresh plugs in."

"[b]PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!![/b]

"PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!

While doing a "Link-n-Sync", I broke the knob off of the timing advance linkage. After finding a replacement, I took it apart to move the internal parts over to the new housing. That's when I discovered that the grease on the internals had dried up. In fact, the grease was so dry that it was actually sticky like glue. It was this sticking that was keeping the timer base from returning to the idle timing stop, effectively creating a "High Idle".

Idles fine now at 850 in neutral & 600 in gear."

Back