Logo

89 evinrude 150 Xp spark issues

Fluharty76

Ok. Kinda long but I’ll offer as much information as I have .
I have an 89 150 xp model# e150stclem
bought it last year attached to a old bass boat looked like it had sat under a tarp a good 15 years . The guy I got it from got it running. I bought it an I swapped it onto my 28ft pontoon. Ran great all last season Minus some slight cold hard starts . Got it out of the barn this spring . An I had no spark . I had no dva tester at the time so I checked what I could charged battery cleaned an inspected all connections . Put back together I had spark . Boat ran Fine . Put 6-8-10 hrs on is . Was pulling back up to the dock one evening an as I idled down it started missing pretty good an died . Checked spark it was excellent. Had fuel to the carbs . Noticed it sheared flywheel key. Order new omc key dressed up crank an Flywheel put back together. Now I have spark on one cylinder only . Left side middle cylinder . I believe it’s connected to the same spark issue I had initially at the beginning of the season. About two day prior to this happening. I went down
to run up the river an it wouldn’t start . Went Down the Next day an a little hard to start . But it started an went on like a 10 mile trip. When i got back to the dock that’s when It died . An I discovered the Sheared flywheel key. I tested the stator . The ohms and dva was within spec . I was having a hard time getting the trigger base to give me any reading except one wire .ohms or dva . (I have spark on one cylinder).
I have followed cdi electronics diagnostics. I’m not sure what I need to replace . The power pack or trigger base . Can I check the pack itself to rule that out ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read for days now with no real luck . Sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much

Last edited:
Simple steps to take.------Remove flywheel.----Remove key.-----Then use valve grinding compound to lap the tapers for a proper fit.-----Note---Flywheel is only located by the key.----It is driven by the locking tapers.-----Then I would get battery load tested.----Then I would take starter apart for inspection , an ohm check on armature , new brushes and lube on shaft.-----Not much beer tokens spent so far.

I load tested the battery already it tests good . Starter amperage draw was in speck within the numbers I could locate . I don’t remember the. Off the top of my head . As of this morning I now have spark on left side too two cylinders. I’m really leaning towards power pack or trigger base . One is significantly cheaper then the other , I pretty mechanically inclined but I’m not boat tech .

Well---Just install a new powerpack like most folks.----It fixes a lot of problems.----If that is not the culprit you will have a good spare !

Back