Logo

'89 Evin V6 155hp Intermittent Misfiring: Quick n/ Dirty Diagnostics Request

alheim

Hi folks, long-time reader, first-time poster, thanks for having me.

I've got a 1989 Evinrude V6 155hp on a '71 Robalo center console. Engine model is E155WTLZ. Here is a link to the MarineEngine parts diagrams: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1989&hp=155&model=E155WTLZ

My friends & I took her out for the first time last week after finally repairing the faulty tilt/trim assembly. It seemed to be misfiring at first. Then, for a few minutes she ran very strong - fast, smooth, felt great up on plane. After that, she started misfiring again, and we puttered around for 2+ hours while trying to fix the motor, almost drifting into the bridges & islands, electrocuting ourselves, and running out of gas. She was using gasoline at full-throttle rates but only giving like 30% of power. Fun, but pretty much a failure. (Note: we're not as reckless as it sounds.)

I think she's misfiring b/c I pulled some plug wires while she was running and there was no change. We checked the grounds, flushed the fuel, and so on.

I've done plenty of reading and have the service manual, and I've ordered a DVA adapter. I am very handy with engine repair, but am not sure where to begin.

The fact that she ran strong for a minute, and that this was an intermittent issue, makes me think that y'all might know where to start. I am new to the DVA testing etc., and I think that type detailed diagnosis will take me a long time. We're really hoping to get her fixed for the weekend.

Tonight we are going to pull the plugs, check for spark w/ a spark tester, inspect & clean all electrical connections.

Where else should I look? Any ideas as to the likely culprit?

Alex

Back