Logo

89 bayliner ford 58 plug amp point gap

pocono97

"guys i realy thank you for al

"guys i realy thank you for all ur help on this i did learn a lot from you in here i fix my engine my drive the shift cable, impeler,and it was working fine all august,now it star misfiring on hi rpm above 3500 and i order some more new part from marine engine , point,condenser,coil,carburetor, water pump etc.can you please show me how u adjust the points and what do i have to do after i install the water pump and carburetor ?
whats the plugs gap? for 5.8 ford engine 89
and the hose from pvs valve were it connects?
and in the bottom of engine by flywheel i was a hose which they cut of i dont now were that hose connect ?
thanks"

Symtoms indicate a weak coil.

Symtoms indicate a weak coil. Replace condenser first by itself to see if that might be it. If not get get a new coil. Be sure to verify whether you need a coil the needs external ballast resistance or one that does not.

spark plug gap .035

Point gap .020

Always use anti-seize on threads of spark plugs when installing new ones.
I would advise you not to even think about the cabuerator until you have ignition up to snuff.

"Eddie thanks, the carb i hav

"Eddie thanks, the carb i have it was (flooding)and to mouch gas, i bored the carb on ebay used for $80 and i dint like it, only for temp i used it, now i got the new one from the store.
how do i know if i need the coil with external ballast resistance ore not ? and do you the hose from pvs valve goes (connects) thanks"

"Sometimes coils might have &#

"Sometimes coils might have " does not require external ballast" printed on it. Most boats have ones that do not require external ballast. Also if it runs with a coil that does not require external ballast, then that is the correct one. The others require a porcelien ballast resistor or have a ballast resistance wire going to the coil. In the latter case the engine will not run on a coil that does not need external ballast."

"I have twin 89 5.8L. Mine don

"I have twin 89 5.8L. Mine don't have a ballast resistor but do have a resistor wire running to positive on coil. If you have points it is needed to reduce voltage to them to about 8 volts. 12 volts from a coil will burn out points quick. You need a 3ohm marine coil. All are 12 volts. Don't replace plugs with ones specified in manuals probably MR43T check application guides for currently recommended plugs. http://www.sparkplugs.com has good marine plug search. Also, if I remember right the point gap is .018 on mine."

"Glenn thanks for ur post and

"Glenn thanks for ur post and im sorry i have 2 post i dont know how it hapen , Glen how u like the 5.8 are they e good engines ?and i just order a marine coil from marine engine but it was a same like from NAPA so were do i find 30 hm coil? thanks thanks benny"

"Hi.I have bought a bayliner 2

"Hi.I have bought a bayliner 2958 with twin 5 litres OMC, I think GM . The engines rev to 3500 under preasure and the boat will not go no more than 14 knts,If I rev the engines not in gear they will rev up to 6000 but only if I ease them,
If I rev them at full throttle, they haze at 3500 and will not do no more, it sounds as though they are pulling back, can anyone help.
Thanks Glen"

Back