Logo

'89 - 88 SPL was running perfectly but would not restart.

Hi,

I have a 1989 Johnson 88 SPL and was out yesterday dragging friends in a tube behind the boat. All was well until the last person finished his ride and I turned off the motor to pick him up. The engine would not start afterwards. Some background: I recently replaced the powerpack and stator to solve a problem it had where it would just die when it was underway and got hot (like I turned off the key). Since that repair I have been out 7-8 times without issue. Yesterday it did not die when underway as before, but just would not start after I turned it off. I let it sit for a good 1/2 hour hoping it would cool done enough to start but it never did, so yet again I had to be towed back in by a good Samaritan.

It started this morning though. Is it possible that the engine somehow became flooded? I do tend to automatically push in key to choke it every time I start it.

If it was flooded, would an attempt to start it using starting fluid have been futile? I tried that yesterday without success.

Again, if it was flooded, how long should I have waited before it would start again?

Thanks.

Back