Logo

89 23l OMC Cobra RUNS HOT

pdennish

"Whenever I take the boat out

"Whenever I take the boat out and run it over 15mph for any length of time, it runs over 200 degrees, at the red line or higher. Is this normal and what can be done to remedy this or get better performance before the engine runs too hot...thx..."

"First thought would be to che

"First thought would be to check/replace the impeller in the drive water pump. You can take the input hose off the thermostat, holding it upright (put a bucket under it) and start the engine for a little bit. You should have approx 2 to 4 inches of water coming out of that hose."

thanks for the details...do yo

thanks for the details...do you know where I can get the maintenance manual for this engine?

"Also, the parts breakout page

"Also, the parts breakout page in the engine manual would be extremely helpful for us novices to enable me to try your suggestion versus getting it done/checked by someone...thx for the info on that..."

"Impeller part #0983895. Do a

"Impeller part #0983895. Do a google search for BRP parts catalog. Then under stern drive, pick your year and engine model. All the parts are listed with parts numbers"

"You know I had a problem with

"You know I had a problem with mine running hot. I changed the impeller and new thermastat, not knowing much about the omc. I did not fix it until I relized that the little cap that covers the connection for the garden hose to run on. if the cap is not on and missing it will run hot at slow spped and fast.

I felt like a fool but it was a simple fix"

"<<You know I had a pr

"<<You know I had a problem with mine running hot. I changed the impeller and new thermastat, not knowing much about the omc. I did not fix it until I relized that the little cap that covers the connection for the garden hose to run on. if the cap is not on and missing it will run hot at slow spped and fast.

I felt like a fool but it was a simple fix>>

And now you have a new impellar and thermostat! Can't be all bad.
biggrin.gif
"

"FYI...

I now have a new im

"FYI...

I now have a new impeller and new housing. apparently the original was 1 inch and they updated it with a 2 inch with a replacement housing to match. my thermostat wasn't replaced but there was some rust issues that the tech resolved. I will be taking it out this weekend to check all issues resolved...

thanks for everyone's input...it's been very helpful...I will post on the results after this weekend...
happy.gif
"

"Update:

I got back to the

"Update:

I got back to the boat Saturday morning and couldn't get it started...man was I disappointed...took a while but got in touch with my repair guy and after some needed instructions on applying gas to the engine in neutral, the boat started and piled the family on the boat for a trek for several hours...no hot temp issues unless I went over 25mph but when I backed off the temp did as well...so another $180 and we looked good to go...

Next came Sunday morning for another run around the lake....couldn't get it started again....man my blood pressure is really getting a work out..we then proceeded to drive to our lunch destination instead of by boat to a marina nearby...I decided to buy a new battery, another $65 later, and put it in when we got back....eurika....it started right up...we spent another couple of hours running around on the lake...my blood pressure went way back down and reluctantly put the boat back in it's parking spot and drove home....

thanks again everyone for your feedback and happy boating
happy.gif
"

Back