Logo

89 200XP Charging Problem Continued

"My original post was buried a

"My original post was buried at the bottom of the page, so I started this new one.

Main problem, 18 volts at wot, occasional ignition cut-out, and tach not working.

Ok, so I did the test that Joe Reeves recommended in the previous post. I bypassed the regulator and connected the gray tach wire directly to the yellow/gray wire on the stator. This produced no movement in the tach. I then confirmed that there was a good connection from the motor to the tach. There was no measurable resistance in the wire. (good) I then bought a new tach, thinking that was the problem as suggested by Joe's test. The new tach doesn't budge when running. So whats next???? Are there any more test to perform before I start just throwing parts and money at the problem?

I inspected the stator and found that it is dripping the infamous black sticky substance off of 1 coil on the front side of the motor. Should I buy a new stator as well as a new regulator? If my thinking is correct, these are the only 2 components that could affect the tach operation as well as the high charge rate.

Your help is appreciated!!"

"IN my opinion,....I would rep

"IN my opinion,....I would replace BOTH reg/rect AND stator...that will put you back in business,and u need both...u also need a factory service manual,to do the job right,along w/some blue locktite."

"Point taken. (sometimes t

"Point taken. (sometimes the grief of spending the money outweighs the grief of trying not to spend the money)

Stator & Regulator, and service manual ordered. Will advise when installed.

Thanks, Mark"

Back