Logo

88 mariner 50horse problem

I've got an 88 mariner 50hp serial number 0B308011 and every time I take it to the lake it always starts right up then when I give it throttle I runs like it's running on 2 cylinder I can run it up the lake a couple hundred yard at about quarter throttle then it will make a misfire noise then it will take right of like nothing was wrong then the rest of the day it will run fine. You can shut it off and fish and start it back up and its fine. It's only the first start up every time I take it to the lake. I changed the spark plugs and took it to the lake and it did it. Do any suggestions or advise?

You might be over choking and flooding it at the start. Release the choke the instant it starts to fire; and, if it doesn't go, repeat.

Jeff

Ok I'll check and see if the electric choke us sticking open. I do release it as soon as it fires.

Which switch box are you referring too?

Screenshot_2015-09-05-09-18-52.jpg

Well I finally got time to take a look at my motor and hooked it up on muffs tonight and tonight I got good spark on number 2 intermittent spark on number 3 until it warmed up then got good spark and no spark on number one. I have confirmed the the spark plugs are good wires are good and coil packs are good. Are you still thinking switch box, faztbullet?

Ok now I have switched the brown trigger wire with the brown trigger wire on the switch box and it followed the switch. Normally the number one cylinder is not firing and it was when I switched and the number 3 wasnt. So then I switched the wires back then when I started the motor number one was still firing and number 3 wasnt. So now I don't know where to go from here. I don't think it's the switch box at this point

Back