Logo

87 Mercruiser 3.0 hard to start after sitting when warm.

Bum

Shoot, title is wrong. Is a 89 Merc not 87. Old boat was an 87.

I'm back again with yet another issue! :mad:

Took my boat out today after doing a little tuneup work in it, started it up in the driveway before heading out just to make sure she was going to cooperate.

Get to the lake, put her in the water starts up like normal. We cruise for a while, even pull my son on the tube for the first time. Boat was running way better then a few weeks ago before the new plugs and things. Not a hitch in her getty up at all.

After sitting, I try to restart and the boat doesn't want to fire up. It seemed to be cranking slower then normal but started to crank faster and faster till the motor would finally fire up and rough idle for a few seconds then smooth out and run fine.

We went back to the dock and I could kill and restart the motor immediately and it would fire right up. No slow crank, nothing. Turn the key and boom she was running. I killed it and let it set for a couple minutes, and it was hard to restart again but would finally fire up. This boat has never done this, first time starting after setting for days or overnight would take a few turns of the engine before it got fuel, but once it had warmed up out on the water it typically would start right up on the first bump of the key.

I looked around the interweb and found some suggestions made by people with their own problems and did some testing in the driveway.

Here is what I found

#1 cranking from cold seemed to be normal after the boat had sat for several hours.
#2 after starting, I could still kill and restart immediately without issue.
#3 killing and letting it sit for a few minutes always resulted in many cranks before fire off
#4 couldn't recreate the slower then normal crank I perceived on the water
#5 I removed the flame suppressor and ran the boat for a bit, killed the motor and looking into the carb I can see gas dripping into the carb from the two tubes above the valves. I watched and they kept dripping for several minutes.

So, I am thinking that #5 is my problem. Gas is dripping into the carb and flooding it. It wasn't a lot of gas, and the drips weren't very fast, but they seemed like fairly big drops. From what little I have read, no gas should be moving once the engine stops.

So, what kind of issue am I looking at here? Is it simply a carb rebuild is needed. Could there be something else along the fuel system that could be causing these issues?

Thanks for any insight and help!

Toney

Shoot, title is wrong. Is a 89 Merc not 87. Old boat was an 87.

I'm back again with yet another issue! :mad:

Took my boat out today after doing a little tuneup work in it, started it up in the driveway before heading out just to make sure she was going to cooperate.

Get to the lake, put her in the water starts up like normal. We cruise for a while, even pull my son on the tube for the first time. Boat was running way better then a few weeks ago before the new plugs and things. Not a hitch in her getty up at all.

After sitting, I try to restart and the boat doesn't want to fire up. It seemed to be cranking slower then normal but started to crank faster and faster till the motor would finally fire up and rough idle for a few seconds then smooth out and run fine.

We went back to the dock and I could kill and restart the motor immediately and it would fire right up. No slow crank, nothing. Turn the key and boom she was running. I killed it and let it set for a couple minutes, and it was hard to restart again but would finally fire up. This boat has never done this, first time starting after setting for days or overnight would take a few turns of the engine before it got fuel, but once it had warmed up out on the water it typically would start right up on the first bump of the key.

I looked around the interweb and found some suggestions made by people with their own problems and did some testing in the driveway.

Here is what I found

#1 cranking from cold seemed to be normal after the boat had sat for several hours.
#2 after starting, I could still kill and restart immediately without issue.
#3 killing and letting it sit for a few minutes always resulted in many cranks before fire off
#4 couldn't recreate the slower then normal crank I perceived on the water
#5 I removed the flame suppressor and ran the boat for a bit, killed the motor and looking into the carb I can see gas dripping into the carb from the two tubes above the valves. I watched and they kept dripping for several minutes.

So, I am thinking that #5 is my problem. Gas is dripping into the carb and flooding it. It wasn't a lot of gas, and the drips weren't very fast, but they seemed like fairly big drops. From what little I have read, no gas should be moving once the engine stops.

So, what kind of issue am I looking at here? Is it simply a carb rebuild is needed. Could there be something else along the fuel system that could be causing these issues?

Thanks for any insight and help!

Toney

Yes you need a carb rebuild,had the same issue with my 3.0. If you see any fuel dripping in the carb after you turn it off the needle is not seating in the float bowl. I got a new float and a carb rebuild kit. Haven't had a issue since. I am a Auto Tech with 40 years experience.

Yes you need a carb rebuild,had the same issue with my 3.0. If you see any fuel dripping in the carb after you turn it off the needle is not seating in the float bowl. I got a new float and a carb rebuild kit. Haven't had a issue since. I am a Auto Tech with 40 years experience.

Thanks for the confirmation. I figured that was what I needed to do. One more question, which is the best kit to get? There are lots out there, don't want the headache of buying the wrong one.

Found the kit I need. Here is hoping I can fix this![/QUOT I did mine a while ago but when ever I buy parts for my boat I get OEM parts or quicksilver. My time is worth more than saving a few bucks on parts. I don't like doing stuff twice because of cheap parts.

Just to update and close out this thread.

I installed a new float and needle and seat. Adjusted the float, bolted everything back together and now there is no dripping fuel after the engine is turned off.

Back