Logo

87 Cobra 2.3 Burnt Oil Smell?

Boteeteea

Good afternoon,
I just bought a 87 Bayliner with a Cobra 2.3. Dude just changed the oil and had maybe 30min on it. Took it out for a spin. Smelt like burning oil. Chalked it up to maybe spilling some on the exhaust or something. Checked the level, perfect! Still new and didn't smell or look burnt off the dip stick. Went for another ride a week later. Started right up, but died when I put it in gear. Had to feather the throttle to get it in gear without dying. Finally warmed up and would go into gear but if I didn't feather the throttle slowly, it would die on me. Also has a pretty sluggish throttle response. Smelt like burning oil way more after running it. Checked the oil again. Still looks new, and at the same level as before. I can see a little oil on top and around the back of the valve cover, but nothing crazy. My father has had boats all his life and says that the burning oil smell is probably fine in a old boat like that. I don't believe it. There's not smoke billowing out of the engine cover, but it really smells! What do you think? I've been told PCV valve and or replace the valve cover gasket. I'm very new to boats so please bare with me. I'm going to run it with the water muffs and see if I can see any active oil leaks. Any advice?

Back