Logo

87 30 motor dist gear keeps gettin stripped out

mccall86

"hello all,

I have a 87 bay

"hello all,

I have a 87 bayliner hard top with a 3.0 omc motor that the dist. gear keeps gettin' a half moon shape cut out of it right in the middle. I have read other post about this problem. something about the cam and oil pump and all. my oil press. is always pegged out at like 110 or so. It is a GM motor. Can this problem be fixed with a new cam,oil pump and dist. if so where is a good palce to find them. A lot of people tell me omc parts are hard to find. This is my first boat by the way. Any help please!!!!! THANKS"

So a little history how long y

So a little history how long you owned this boat?

Know if someone tore down the motor ?

You already posted half what i would tell you.

I have owned it for less than

I have owned it for less than a year. The motor was rebuild with less than 4 hours on it. The guy i got it form said it stripped one gear up but it was the wrong type of gear (brass not forged steel). Well today i took the dist. cap off and cranked it over and the rotor button never moved so i guess it is gone again. Oh and by the way i cant tell if it is a 2.5 or 3.0 is there anyway to tell the diff? is a 21'6 foot boat and weights like 4800-5500 pounds so i would think it would be the 3.0 and not the 2.5. 1987 is the year of it

2.5 has only a pulley on the f

2.5 has only a pulley on the front of the crank
3.0 has a harmonic balancer on the front
otherwise 2.5 and 3.0 are externally identical

2.3 has an overhead cam with timing belt

Boy, 110 PSI Oil Pressure will put too way much strain on the Cam Gear.

But, if the engine has a Steel Camshaft, then you need to use a Bronze Gear on the Distributor.

If the Engine has a Cast Camshaft, then you need to use the Steel Gear.

You can't mix these things.

110 PSI will also cause you a lot of problems with washing out the Bearing Shells and possibly engine seizure.

Firstly, I would be recommending that you get a good Oil Pressure Gauge and check just what the actual pressure is.

Bruce.

When rebuilt they used the wrong spring in the oil pump. If after checking the oil pressure with a known good oil gauge thats where i would begin my search of way too much pressure.

That means draining the oil, and pulling the pan. That means pulling the motor and turning it over.

You will have to pull the pan to check the oil rails anyway. Me i would start with the oil pump.

Back