Logo

86 Evinrude XP 150 engine problems

J

John Barnes

" I just rescently purchased t

" I just rescently purchased this engine. My problem started with fouled plugs. After insalling the proper plugs withe proper gap .040 (per Joe)I started and ran the motor briefly, then remived the plugs to inspect them at that point I noticed what appeared to be a vary slight bit of moisture on two of the plugs so I decided to pull the heads and take a look see, and there was a slight bit of water in three of the cylinders with sigs of leaky head gaskets, However my real concern is the amount of play in the pistons. at some point the motor has been boured to .030. If you move the pistons from side to side it seems to me that there is excessive play however moveing them in an up and down motion they seem to have less play. anyway I can push the piston all the way to one side and slide a .015 feeler guage down the side of the piston until it touches the top ring,with all the pistons are exactly the same. Is this too much clearance? before removing the heads all cylinders were running around 90 psi of compression consistantly, even with the leaky head gaskets. the other thing is that there is a scratch in one of the cylinders that appears to have been there for a long time maybe even the reason for the bour job and just didn't clean up. anyone have any advice for me??? I have ordered the service manuel but don't have it yet "

" Pistons in a motor are taper

" Pistons in a motor are tapered.(even on new) Outboards are special in that when a motor runs the piston changes shape with temperature.Near the crown they are hotter and expand more, so when the motor is cold parts appear to be loose.Water in a motor is an absolute no no. Make sure the heads are flat before installing new gaskets. "

"John.... In addition to Spark

"John.... In addition to Sparky's post, it is important that the head bolts be torqued to a specific amount, and in a specific manner as follows.

14 bolts per head, torqued 18 to 20 foot pounds.

Joe
"

" Thanks Guys,
Sure is nice

" Thanks Guys,
Sure is nice to be able to get good advice from the Pros. I feel pretty good about this old motor now.
since we are in the middle of winter here it will be a while before I will be able to try it on the water but I am looking forward to having a good running motor when spring comes !!!

Thanks,
John "

" While you have the heads off

" While you have the heads off, it is a good time to check the water deflectors. Those are the 6 little pieces of what looks like a hose that are inserted into the water passages. Make sure they are still round and not flattened out. Salt water, age and overheating can cause these deflectors to flatten out and restrict the water flow at higher RPM's. So it is easier to change them now than to have to pull the heads again. "

" Thanks Tom,

Three of thos

" Thanks Tom,

Three of those are actually missing, all on the same side, It appears that they are cut from a piece of thick walled vacum hose will that work to replace them with? Exactly what do they do?

John "

Those rubber inserts are ther

Those rubber inserts are there to guide the water thru the power head for proper and even cooling. They are in fact a restriction .Do not assemble the motor without them. Should be a common item at the dealer.

On your V6 there are a total

On your V6 there are a total of 6 deflectors. Three on each bank. The part # is 322411 and can be ordered at any Johnson / Evinrude dealer @ about $2.50 each.

Back