Logo

86 4 cyl 140hp mercruiser outdrive

dtoole

Regular Contributor
Not sure how to tell what out-drive i have. Anyway while idling i hear a slight "clanking" noise coming from around the bellows area . Tried to turn the wheel both directions to see if it made any difference. I was thinking it may be the u joints. It made no difference. Looked at an exploded view of assembly. Was wandering if it could be the retainer nut maybe loosened up. Any suggestions???????????

could be a lot of things. if you mean the carrier where the prop shaft exits,yes. i would atleast have the drive pulled for inspect the U joints and bellows and test run the motor again to make sure the noise is gone.
Check the drive oil for water, correct oil level, clean oil.

There are four parts to the merc set up, motor, inner transom, outer transom and outdrive.

if you pull the outdrive off it has a double ujoint assembly and a input/drive shaft connected. the drive shaft goes thru a gimbal bearing (carrier beraing if you call it that) merc calls it gimbal bearing.

to check it you put to fingers thru bearing and rotate it..if you feel anything other than a smooth rotational movement it is bad.

Also a clanking noise can be a exhaust shutter clanking in the exhaust tube and the noise comes thru as something most think is a gimbal issue.

also a gimbal bearing makes a groaning like sound if you lake test it and turn the steering all the ay each direction.

if you remove the outdrive you can inspect the ujoints and gimbal bearing for issues.

kghost, you were right about the exhaust shutter. while running, was able to stick my finger in exhaust and felt a flap moving around inside. seemed to me that it may be broken and flapping around loose. dont know how its made.is this something i should be concerned with ? is this what prevents hydro-lock? thanks again for EXPERT ADVICE!!!!!

KGHOST, you were right about the exhaust shutter. was able to stick my finger in exhaust port while idling and felt a metal plate(?) moving around inside. felt like it may be loose and moving around freely. is this something i should be concerned about? thank you again for GREAT ADVICE

Back