Logo

86 35hp outboard won’t go

Bill mat

My outboard is running great but last time I was out it wouldn’t go to full throttle. My control was always a bit hard to move( I bought the boat this year) so I thought I would try and lube the cables. I did that at the control side and the motor side and they controller seemed to move easier. Now the boat shifts into gear but won’t throttle up at all. When I push the throttle up button the engine will rev but not as much as it should. I don’t know much about outboards but I would guess if idle is 800 rpm I can rev the engine to about 1500. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like it is running on one cylinder.----Compression test first.----Spark check is next.----Carburetor might need cleaning.-----You have replaced the water pump impeller I hope.-----Motors need a new impeller every 5 years !

My outboard is running great but last time I was out it wouldn’t go to full throttle. My control was always a bit hard to move( I bought the boat this year) so I thought I would try and lube the cables. I did that at the control side and the motor side and they controller seemed to move easier. Now the boat shifts into gear but won’t throttle up at all. When I push the throttle up button the engine will rev but not as much as it should. I don’t know much about outboards but I would guess if idle is 800 rpm I can rev the engine to about 1500. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
The piece that the throttle cable attaches to (at the engine)will not move even with the cable detached. I believe it should. Am I right or am I missing something ? Thanks for any help you can give

Back