Logo

85HP 2 Stroke won't start in water

Frank MC

My 1975 V$ 85HP Johnson runs great on Muffs and in a barrel of Water. Put it in the river? It won't start.
So far we have:
1. Changed the plugs
2. Set the Timing
3. Checked for Bad Ground
4. Checked Spark
5. Removed and Cleaned Carbs
6. Cleaned Stator Contacts
7. Checked Compression (125psi on all 4)

Problem remains unchanged. What else is there? Can Bad Exhaust Gaskets cause this by allowing back pressure to built up inside? When cranking the engine while in the river, no evidence of exhaust coming out of Prop is showing (no bubbles, no nothing), pull it out of the water, and place in barrel of water, (Prop exhausts as expected)

My 1975 V$ 85HP Johnson runs great on Muffs and in a barrel of Water. Put it in the river? It won't start.
So far we have:
1. Changed the plugs
2. Set the Timing
3. Checked for Bad Ground
4. Checked Spark
5. Removed and Cleaned Carbs
6. Cleaned Stator Contacts
7. Checked Compression (125psi on all 4)

Problem remains unchanged. What else is there? Can Bad Exhaust Gaskets cause this by allowing back pressure to built up inside? When cranking the engine while in the river, no evidence of exhaust coming out of Prop is showing (no bubbles, no nothing), pull it out of the water, and place in barrel of water, (Prop exhausts as expected)
Also, used fresh fuel

Charge the battery.----Have the battery load tested.-----Inspect battery cables.----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.

Your reply is no surprise.----Every body thinks their motor cranks just fine.

Are you raising the fast idle lever?
Yes, we have tried raising the Fast Idle Lever, looks like I need to check the starter. Battery is brand new, cables are in good condition (it looks to be) so looks like its take apart the starter.

Faztbullet, Racerone, it looks like to get the Stator engaged 300 rpm's is the minimum?

I had the same issue and it was actually my battery. Didnt make sense why it start on the muffs only. My guess is the travelling unsettled the charge in the battery when it got to the boat ramp. Battery measuered 12.4 volts but obviuosly had a dead cell in it.

Yes, we have tried raising the Fast Idle Lever, looks like I need to check the starter. Battery is brand new, cables are in good condition (it looks to be) so looks like its take apart the starter.

Faztbullet, Racerone, it looks like to get the Stator engaged 300 rpm's is the minimum?
Took back to the water, cranked it and adjusted timing, appeared to have good spark to be able to adjust timing?

Maximum timing was set at the factory and does not need any adjustment as a rule !!----When you raise the fast idle lever does the timer base rotate ?---Even a little bit ?------Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more on a test device?-----If you arre willing to do some simple trouble shootiing this should be an easy fix !

Back