Logo

85 bayliner with volvo pinta 125 hp 2.1 sohc 270 outdrive overheating

jdtm84

runs cool at idle replaced raw water pum impeller wondering if out drive has impeller in it and if so where what else might be causing this issue thermostat? please advise ASAP

All of the OHC 4's use the Closed Cooling system.
The sea water pump will be directly in front of the counter shaft.

When was the last time you replaced the "water neck" fitting?
One small suction breach here, and you will have cooling issues.

Water Neck fittings.jpg

No other pumps on the drive.There is a circ pump on the front of the motor.In 25 years I have seen only one of these go bad.
If it's original.And it's not the thingy in Ricks pic.The manifold could be clogged or the heat exchanger could be clogged.
Manifold:Loosen the bolts and the rubber boots.Look for excessive corrosion on the end.Then flow test it.
It should flow as much water in as you can supply with the hose.
The heat exchanger is in the tank on the front of the motor.It can be back flushed or taken to a radiator shop.J

found that it was very low on coolant, hoping this is the problem, owner had not checked to see what the level was before running the boat, taking it out today to see what it does, thanks for the info will look into water neck if problem persists will let you know how it goes.

You can find your engine model right here.

I don't disagree with what Jerry is suggesting. All of these items need to be looked into..... especially if no previous history of this work having been done.
Add to this that PO's (previous owners) tend to exaggerate repairs and maintenance, and often are not up to speed on what REALLY should have been done.

PDS bearing, for example!
If no history..... you'd best replace this. IMO.

Drive shaft bellows would be another example.
Did the PO store the drive fully UP and turned hard one way..... or did he lower and straighten it after each use (as he should have done)?

I mention the water neck fitting, because this replacement is very often deferred.
While moving at slow speeds, the water neck is submerged, so it seldom causes any issues at low speeds.
However, when up on plane, the water neck fitting rises up out of the water.
If the fitting has lost integrity (and believe me.... they will), suction is breached, and we will often see over-heating issues.

A water neck fitting is usually good for 3-4 years..... maaaaaaaaaaybe 5 years, in fresh water.
Good for maybe 2 +/- years if in salt water.
These are to be considered a "wear item" that requires routine replacement.

Un-notice and/or unattended failures here have ruined engines just as bad impellers have!
Take heed! :D

Last edited:
OK will look into all that, current problem is radiator cap leaks at high RPMs would like to know what the normal operating temp for this engine is, currently running 180 degrees running in fresh water only but stays there even when the radiator cap goes blowing out antifreeze. Only reason we shut it down was the steam from the antifreeze burning off, temp gets to 180 and stays there no matter what RPMs you run or how long unless of course it runs out of coolant again.

OK will look into all that, current problem is radiator cap leaks at high RPMs would like to know what the normal operating temp for this engine is, currently running 180 degrees running in fresh water only but stays there even when the radiator cap goes blowing out antifreeze. Only reason we shut it down was the steam from the antifreeze burning off, temp gets to 180 and stays there no matter what RPMs you run or how long unless of course it runs out of coolant again.
Did you ever find out what the problem was? Im having the same issue with my volvo penta 125a. Steam's out of the antifreeze cap after running for a couple of minutes.

I'm currently having the same problem with my boat. Replaced waterpump, thermostat and impeller even thou all the parts were replaced last season. Also replaced radiator cap with the correct volvo cap. Pulled the heat exchanger and flushed it out. No problems there. No water in the oil, no external leaks and no steam out of the exhaust. I have done a compression test all cylinders seem the same and ok. I also have done a exhaust gas pressure test on the antifreeze reservoir and no sign of any exhaust gases there. Even did a pressure test of the coolant system and no leaks at all. I'm out of options. I'm even willing to remove and replace head gasket if it would show me any indication that there is a problem with it. Looking for any suggestions or somebody who has had this same problem with their boat and has found out what is causing system to build pressure. Thank you for any info about is situation.

Back