Logo

85 200 Black max dies at 2000 RPM under load

oxnut85

I have a 200 Black Max with a rebuilt powerhead SN long gone, reasearch says it's around 85, no oil injection, was removed before I purchased the boat (10 years ago). I mix with only Quicksilver. Drained tank completely (due to a leaky filler cap), filled up fresh, ran great from the boat ramp in Provincetown to the place we were staying 15 min ride. 4600 rpm (not quite open). Next day went out trolling, 4000 to the place we dropped lines, np trolled for an hour, back to the hotel. Decided to clean out the pipes before I shut her down, 4500 up on plane for 2 min then it just died. Started right back up ran normal up to 1500 rpm anything over that. dies... seems to be getting fuel, pulled the line off the pump to the bowls, gas is flowing. It Will run all day at below 1500. try to bump it up to 1800, stalls out. I will rebuild the fuel pump again (cheap for diaphrams) I am thinking some kind of sensor, Temp? oil inj? spark leakage? I did notice when I winterized her that while I was running fuel out of the bowls I pushed on the plug wire caps and I got jolted from one of them and I was wearing rubber soles and not standing in the water dripping out of the ear muffs or touching the block with any other part of my body. Any suggestins on where to start?

Possible stator or switchbox as this is right at the rpm where it swaps from low speed windings to highspeed side

Thank you for the response. I should have mentioned, under no load, the engine will still rev up normally to 4000-4500 rpm in neutral or fwd on the trailer. Does there need to be load on the engine before it will switch to the high rpm windings? I would speculate throttle position and linkage to the timing play a part in this. Greg

I should have mentioned, under no load, the engine will still rev up normally to 4000-4500 rpm in neutral or fwd on the trailer.
Need to be a little more defined as in gear on trailer is more load than in normal operation unless prop is cavatating. And yes it will rev normally without a load such as in neutral. Hook a timing light to left bank and test with cowling off and see if spark goes away and repeat for oppisite side andpost results...

Back