Logo

84 115 remote control i want to change the trim switch

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi I cant seem to take this unit apart I tried taking the 3 screws and the center screw out I can split the housing some but it doesn't come apart

I then tried just prying the plastic cover off but couldn't get it to pop off

before I break it what is the procedure to get the housing off to replace the trim switch

and I hoping the one I have will fit in there looks the same roughly just the end connector is different as this switch is obsolete I see

Start by removing the handle from the control box.---One allen screw and you loosen that 2 turns and give that screw a bump with a hammer.

I had to use a crow bar and claw hammer to split this the tapping with hammer didn't work

guess it has never been taken apart since 84

so there is that clip over the plastic wheel but I cant get it loose can I use a bit of heat or run the risk melting the plastic
I used flat head screw driver and hit it with the hammer at the end to try to loosen it but it didn't work

also you can see mud in here or so I guessing bugs have moved in here at one point in time and put the mud inside

Attachments

• PIC_1514.jpg
    PIC_1514.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 37
  • PIC_1513.jpg
    PIC_1513.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
  • PIC_1512.jpg
    PIC_1512.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PIC_1511.jpg
    PIC_1511.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
Give that screw a good soaking with WD40 or PB blaster. Let it sit overnight and try it again. It would suck to snap the head of that screw off.

ya I soaked with wd40 all around it hope it will do the trick ya be a pain to drill it out... hoping that works and if not might try to usine propane torch not acy oxy as the flame too big to control

then I might be able to test this engine I rebuild it from ground up

Those plastic parts are now no longer available, -------Never had to use heat on a control box before.----When that allen screw is loose a good bump with a hammer pops the handle off !!

oh ic
I hammered it good and hard and the handle didn't pop off

does that plastic circle have to come off as I cant get that screw loose I tried heat this morning I tried the wd40 all night I tried again put screw driver on and hit with hammer good and hard and it still wont come loose

this is good and seized but if that plastic wheel doesn't have to come off ill then re try hammer with the screw back in

this engine was exposed to salt water so Im guessing the control has gotten salt water in it too

its not coming apart I have hit that screw hundred times the one with the allen key it doesn't come loose

I have tapped that flat head screw and what not I can not get it loose either

Mine took a while (the allen screw) Theyre in there tight. Back it out a couple more turns and get a bigger hammer.
The flathead....I hate flathead screws...make sure your screwdriver fits good in the slot all the way across the screwhead and all the way tothe bottom of the slot. Ive jacked up a lot of screws with the wrong size flathead screwdriver for the screw.
If it has just welded itself in tehre over time...I would suggest leaving it in there and take everything else off around it to clean and lube. But if you insist on taking it out.....get out the Louisiana socket set - Vise Grips. Make sure your tap and die set is nearby...

ah ok ya I finally got the arm off had to really wak it hard came out

I did get the screw loose a little and I was using heat to loosen it and since they don't make a impact driver flat head bit thick and wide like the big screw drivers I really held on it down was able to move 1/8" turn then I had to re heat and got another turn bit but in the end the head snapped off what a pain I tell ya going to drill it out and maybe easy out will work if not ill just re tap it

I found out that mud and stuff was wasp nests in there

but I noticed this controller doesn't have a kill switch has the hole in it but never was put in I guess

and that that plastic plate that says don't remove when in use.. is the reason why is that cable behind it has no C clip to hold that pin in the cable.. its just dropped down and the plastic holds it against it

Back