Logo

84 115 finally going to break in engine, but couple questions

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi reading my book for breaking in the engine

I says during the first 10 min to operate the engine in gear at fast idle... but you cant lift that high idle lever in gear.. or put it in gear after you lift it up
so what do they mean

and I just going to test it in a test box I have with water to just get the engine running for 10 min to make sure it fires and then another day get it to the river..

and it also talks about first 50 min.. you start off to run it at 3500 rpm or below... do you keep it at 3500 rpm for that full 50min or say 1 hour nothing higher only to plane it but bring it right back down to 3500 or below right?

oh this engine doesn't have a tach for it... so I have to go buy one
do I run a wire from the tach to either Yellow wire off the stator.. as they both yellow does it matter?

ok thanks I read it so least I can run it in my box for an hour idling the engine at high rpm

but question I bought oil TCW-3 they don't say which you need at Ctire they have 2 TCW-3 one is for air cooled 2 stroke other is water cooled 2 stroke... personally I don't think there is a difference just they charged me more for the water cooled oil....

but it talks about adjusing the carb to .002 jets how I do that

and I don't have a timing light to retard the timing 2 degrees.. can I just leave it where it is?

There is a BIG difference between oils and do not use the oil for air cooled engines!!! How much was engine bored as if over .020 you need to up jet size and you can loosen the spark stop screw and turn it in one full turn as this is about 2 degrees..

ah ok whats the difference between the oils?

and 2 were at 20 and 2 were bored at 40 or 44 cant remember at the moment

how do you up the jet size? and the spark stop screw?

is there instructions somewhere for this?

Back