Logo

84 115 cant get it to fire up

wasnt flooded like i thought why i couldnt get it fire anymore.. Moon key was sheered off .. fly wheel was 180 degrees.. i guessing thats from being out of time... gotta try to get a new moon key and a timing gun

hello at 32 seconds in your video you have the plastic piece on the throttle cam upside down you may want to double check that

hello at 32 seconds in your video you have the plastic piece on the throttle cam upside down you may want to double check that

thanks i just flipped it around when i got this engine before it siezed up in the middle of the river it was running rough guess thats why they were selling it

umm would you know why it was still back firing all 4 are sparking... 2 new carb kits.. would it just be the timing now? i waiting till the weekend to get a timing gun.. not 100% sure how to set it up with the ADC and BDC stuff as my selco book not that great i must say least for not doing timing light in 20 yrs..

but my moon key sheered off what causes that just the being out of time where 3 out of 4 are firing right.... is there a good article you guys can link me to to properly time this.. as it also talks about running the engine at 5000 rpms and one my test box isnt big enough to run the prop in.. and the engine hasnt even been broken in yet to run at 5000 rpms
but if there is a good article or video be most appreciative

If you suspect you have gummed up carburetors, pull the drain plug on all carburetors, and pump fuel through them. Then, use a can of B12, or other good carburetor cleaner, and put the straw into the drain hole and give each carburetor a good dose of it, then pump fuel through it again. This should clean out any gum and crud.

Ah ok ill try that. I did put new carb kits on blew it out. But you seen in video. 3 out four. Were black. I have to getsome moon keys first. And hope it it works. Still thinking might be outta time slightlyn

Hopwfully I can get a couple

you need to find the joe reeves method for timing an outboard with the starter i think its in the top secret files at the top and with that link being flipped the way it was you need to do a lync and sync

Ok ill look up the joe. For the link and sync. Thata how it was. O turn it a few times to make it tight. Maybe thata why it waa back firing or so

I have the lousy selco manual. I had figured most of it out. Is the factory one that much better to get more details etc

yes the factory one will be specific to your motor seloc is more general and covers many models. And when you get it get the carb kits and rebuild them then start all over with the linkages according to the factory manual.

Ah. I just bought the carb kits other day I got them tuesday. But still hickuppd. Like in video. Each kit was 40 plus 13 percent take I dont wanna have to re rebuild them. But ill try to get service book from the machine shop

Guess thats why the timing section is confusing for me. eAs it talks about measuring and run the engine at 5000 rpms. eCant do that. And i cant find the joe revee aeticle for timing. I remeber the boats net site had his articles but they dont do forums anymore

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ns-faq/234008-joe-reeves-wot-timing-procedure that is the link you also have to rebuild the carbs because you don't know why it burned down in the first place. by putting the old carbs back on you could be putting the problem back on you can't take shortcuts they will bite. I found the article with a simple google search. Be patient take your time and when you get the manual start from the beginning Don't get frustrated it happens

Ok thanks for link ill read later. Oh I know why my engine siezed. In 2012 it was mid november. Last boat on river and she was snowing raining we had just finished putting my friends boat out of water for storage. Then we went to take mine. To boat launch. But because it was idling at his dock. The intake picked up weeds and was overheating I didnt know due to buzzer didnt work so I make it down my river and she over heats smoking and shuts off solid. The power pqck you seen in video the wiring melted the outside. The two temperature sensing units melted right out rhe wiring melted. So I was stuxk on river. You cant row a 20 foot fiberglass fishing boat so I was drifiting was snowing raining windy freezing cold I was and it was getting dark. So thats why she burned down. Replqced the filtet too it discintagrated. But now I carry trolling motor just incase. But I appreciate everyones help. Hoping to get new woodruff key on monday. The one marine chargi nng 12 bucks for onr but bolt place I deal with charging a buck. So gonna wait till monday

ah ok well ill give it a shot if it breaks ill go with the 10 bucks one

just this is bolt place competition with brafasco...

but I hear ya

The bitterness of the wrong part is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten !!!!!!-----------You need to understand that the key locates the flywheel for proper timing.---------The flywheel is driven by the locking tapers.

ah ok so i got the right key
but engine still miss firing and i guessing the tach is wrong.. its showing wrong rpms i sure and i tried both yellow wires
its an OMC tach

butalso is the water supposed to be coming out the back 2 holes where the exhaust comes out of??? it runs better but has that miss fire what would be wrong? the timing wasnt able to get a timing light so i figure ill send engine to marina...

here is video
and what causes it if you try to start and it doesnt seem to have amps to turn it after the engine is warmed up it then leaves the starter sprokect in the flywheel... is that a going starter?

well here is the video wasnt sure what to adjust on engine so i figure take engine into marina.. unless you see something in video i can try

https://youtu.be/v5HCeN9kwAE

Your linkages are still way off you need to do a lync and sync get the manual. Hard to diagnose the problems when the simple part of the set-up is has not been done correctly. There should be a gap between the throttle cam and the carb roller your idle should be set with the timing advance not the carbs. You also need to find out why the throttle assembly doesn't sit against the stop. Get the manual or go to the dealer and have them do it yes I know I said get the manual twice so get the manual

Ya I know about manual. I only got the key so far. I fixed the issue about the shift cable I had gotten new cables I just adjusted so it press tighter. As for that black roller touching the metal arm the cam. There is a small gap but guess cant see with camera. But ok I was just asking. Ill look in book again if not ill wait and try to get manual since its running I guess three out of four and didnt see where the timing screw was just the idle stop and high speed stop. Just figured it should run no problem etc. But ill see if I can get book and relook in my book

Thanks for help so far

ok here some pics i followed the selco book for the setting... its centered but the camera show it slightly off

also i ordered the book its backordered marina says 2 -4 weeks if i lucky.. so hopefully sooner

Attachments

• PIC_1563.jpg
    PIC_1563.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PIC_1562.jpg
    PIC_1562.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PIC_1561.jpg
    PIC_1561.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 56
hey
i was able to buy a timing light today

i been trying to get it to work but its seems hopeless you cant get the engine to run smooth

i have swapped out the coil packs.. the newer ones with the Blue wire seem to be for the bottom cylinders not the top cylinders even though book states top ...

i have new plugs in there

i have swapped out the coil packs

but it still miss fires.... if idling if it missfires it stops the engine like hitting a brick wall

only thing i havent swapped out is the rectifier ... the Stator or the timer base..

could the stator or the timer base thats why it seems to run on 3 cylinders and not well as i not sure how i can get this to time if it wont even run on 4 cylinders

i know i have to wait at least a month or longer for the book.. but i figured since i got the timing gun id give it another shot..
but is it still out of time or is something not working right

like i said
i swapped out the coil packs, power packs, flipped the spark plug wires from top to bottom cylinders

i havent exchanged the stator or timer base

and i set the link sync right the cam touchs the top Line on the plate.. the carbs are lined up the same..

so not sure what else to try

These orange / blue stripe wires always go to the top plugs.------------The manufacturers know this as a fact.-------There are problems with YOUR motor.

Ic what would the problem be.
The original power pack the blue orange coil goes on top

The newer same number power pack will not run with the blue orange coil on top but on the bottom

So if something wrong what would it be

i took apart the coil pack i was having issues with it was electrical tapped up

i noticed the reason why i had to flip coils is... is the Blue orange Coil wire is actually in the Orange plug so its reversed at the plug part

i took another video from cold to start showing how i followed the link sync in the manual i have.. but i cant go further in it as it talks about putting it in gear and timing light i cant get it in gear in my box is it ok to use the ears? and i not able to get it keep running she miss firing

i did make sure all the coils are firing i put the timing light clamp on each wire and it flickered so its getting a pulse.

i did ajust the one Screw i turned it out 1 full screw...but no luck so i going to turn it back one...

here is the video

do you see any problems at all as they all spark

so
i have
new carb kits
new plugs
they all fire
they both blue/orange on top
the linkage is set right to the top line with the cam roller

and i orderd the factory book which is back ordered

https://youtu.be/Dp-XsIY1MQc

ok thanks

I have a couple questions about the joe reeves wot timing

what is the purpose of the adjustable spark tester.. how come cant use the regular spark plug? and do you ground that or so or how that work

and the other 3 spark plus you ground those right after you take them out clamp them and ground them so doesn't burn out the coil

and this should fix that back firing issue I take it

Back