Logo

'83 70hp Evinrude won't accelerate

capnlazy

Regular Contributor
I have an 1983 Evinrude 70hp the starts and idles great but won't accelerate. This is a new to me engine on a 24ft pontoon. I think I have propped it as it should be (but not sure) with a 14x11 prop, rebuilt the carburetors, and replaced the stator (it was bad). My question is, when advancing the throttle with the engine off, should the timing still advance? Or does the motor have to be running? What actually advances the timing lever (because I don't think mine is advancing)? Any suggestions are appreciated.

There should be a link from the arm to the timer base.---------If it is not there then that is the problem.----------------Ignition should still advance with the motor stopped.

I'll have to look again when I get back down there but I seem to think there was a link from the arm to the timer base but the arm never moved with the throttle.

When the main throttle arm moves , the ignition advances to maximum well before full throttle ( carburetors fully open ) is reached.------------------shop.evinrude.com -------------and look at the parts and exploded views.

Back